[comp.sys.amiga.tech] EXECUTE errors

alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn V) (07/01/90)

I have never used the "execute" command before and I'm having some
problmes...  I am trying a new boot process where a short startup-
sequence file EXECUTEs another file on the hard disk.  I get the
following error:

EXECUTE: No K directive
DH0:c/execute failed returncode 20

The file I am executing does not take any parameters.  Do I still need
to add a .K at the start of the file I am executing eventhough I don't
plan to pass it any arguments??

 - alfredo jahn

-------------------------------//----------------------------------------
 Alfredo Jahn V               //     UUCP: {texbell,digi}!ajahnv!alfredo
 3208 Cole Ave., #1303    \\ //    Internet: alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org
 Dallas, TX  75204         \X/                     Voice: (214) 855-1316

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (07/03/90)

>I have never used the "execute" command before and I'm having some
>problmes...  I am trying a new boot process where a short startup-
>sequence file EXECUTEs another file on the hard disk.  I get the
>following error:
>
>EXECUTE: No K directive

If you start your script file with

.bra {
.ket }

your problems will magically vanish.  I'm sure someone out here will have a
technical explanation why, but I had the same problem, and this was the
solution...

/********************************************************************
 *      All of the above copyright by the below.                    *
 * Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys                        *
 *  "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."  *
 *              Larry Anderson                                      *
 ********************************************************************/

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (07/03/90)

In article <268f7858-75c.1comp.sys.amiga.tech-1@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>>I have never used the "execute" command before and I'm having some
>>problmes...  I am trying a new boot process where a short startup-
>>sequence file EXECUTEs another file on the hard disk.  I get the
>>following error:
>>
>>EXECUTE: No K directive
>
>If you start your script file with
>
>.bra {
>.ket }
>
>your problems will magically vanish.  I'm sure someone out here will have a
>technical explanation why, but I had the same problem, and this was the
>solution...

The normal use of "<" and ">" within a script file is for delimiting
parameters that were passed into the script.  Thus, redirection from
within a script file yields the "No K directive" error message.  By using
the .bra and .ket directives, you change the parameter delimiters to
something else, and thereby allow redirections.

			-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

In article <alfredo.7122@ajahnv.lonestar.org> alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn V) writes:
>I have never used the "execute" command before and I'm having some
>problmes...  I am trying a new boot process where a short startup-
>sequence file EXECUTEs another file on the hard disk.  I get the
>following error:
>
>EXECUTE: No K directive
>DH0:c/execute failed returncode 20

For me it sounds like you forgot to provide the correct path for your
script file in the execute command. The error message said execute
failed but it doesn't say that something _inside_ the script failed.
The K directive doesn't have anything to do with this message.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (07/08/90)

Hmm.. here we go...  The K Directive message occurs when you have
redirection inside a script file.  The execute command uses "<" and ">" to
identify .key arguments in the file, and if you've got something like "type
'hello' >ram:", it thinks the ">" is part of a .key, and bombs.  If you put

.bra {
.ket }

at the beginning of the script, it will use { instead of < and } instead of
>, and the script will work fine.  Just remember that if you ARE using a
.key, you have to change the brackets around those arguments in the file,
too.