[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A3000, Lattice

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/09/90)

A couple questions and comments.  The first couple about the 3000 (having
just got one in at work and spent several hours getting it set up.)

1.)  Where is the battery backed clock on the 3000?  SetClock doesn't work
     under 1.3 or 2.0, and it seems silly to have to do a DATE ? on a new
     several $1000 computer.

2.)  I got a 2086 bridgeboard working under 1.3 on the 3000.  Just dug out
     a spare 720K floppy and appropriate drive cable and things worked fine
     (once I figured out the undocumented drive select jumpers on the
     floppy and got them set to 0).  Havn't tried under 2.0 yet although I've
     heard of some problems (I'm using a MakeAB'ed partition for the MS-DOS
     hard drive).

3.)  Apparently AmigaWorld's rumor about the Amiga 3500 may be true.  If you
     look at the 3000 schematics in the hardware guide, there are several
     boxes marked "if A3000" and "if A3500".  It looks like the 3500 will
     be a 3000 with the 2000's slot scheme on the motherboard (5 Zorro III,
     4 PC-AT, 2 overlapping, internal serial connector, etc).  I wonder when
     this will see the light of day.

4.)  This ones about Lattice.  What's up with Lattice and Amiga products?
     I just logged onto the LBBS for the first time in about 4 weeks and there
     is a BIG message saying "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY **NO** support for Amiga
     products will be given on the LBBS.  Responsibility for support of Amiga
     products is being transferred to SAS (Lattice's parent company - MG)
     and support is only available on BIX."  I don't know about you, but I
     find this a pretty good pain in the _ss since BIX costs a hell of a lot
     more than a discount call to Chicago.  I wonder what effect this has on
     further product development, support, etc.

Well, this should do for now,

Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  markgood	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (07/10/90)

> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <13122@cbmvax.commodore.com>
>
> Org.  : Commodore, West Chester, PA
> Person: Randell Jesup
>

> >4.)  This ones about Lattice.  What's up with Lattice and Amiga products?
>
>         See the message I posted last week.  Overall, this will probably be a
> good thing once the inital confusion is over.  Every _registered_ owner will
> be getting info in the mail from SAS on exactly what's up (send in those
> registration cards!)
>
> --
> Randell Jesup, Keeper of AmigaDos, Commodore Engineering.
> {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
> Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

to get the 5.0x upgrade if there is another one or, when 6.0 comes out, to get
the 6.0x upgrade(s).

The prefered method (IMHO) for getting interim bugfix-type upgrades is from a
BBS because it's faster (obviously) than waiting for the mail service (and if
you think you've got snail mail in the U.S., try getting something from the
U.S. into Canada!). Getting them this way has saved me a lot of time when, in
the middle of development, I find some function that doesn't work the way it
should and don't have the time (or knowledge) to write it myself.
        It sounds like a step backward to me no matter what colour you paint
it.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

In article <24893.2698602f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>A couple questions and comments.  The first couple about the 3000 (having
>just got one in at work and spent several hours getting it set up.)
>
>1.)  Where is the battery backed clock on the 3000?  SetClock doesn't work
>     under 1.3 or 2.0, and it seems silly to have to do a DATE ? on a new
>     several $1000 computer.

	Use the SetClock that comes with the system.  The new clock chip is
different, and old setclocks don't understand it.  Under 2.0, there are now
resources for supplying access to the clock in a hardware-independant manner.
Under 1.3 on a 3000, I think that the time gets set before the system boots,
so the "clock not found" message from 1.3 setclock actually doesn't matter.