[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Using Matt's UUCP on local Amiga net

fche@db.toronto.edu ("Frank Ch. Eigler") (06/28/90)

These questions are directed mainly toward Matt himself, but
if you can give an answer, please do so.

1 - Could the package be distributed in a slightly modified
    directory structure if the original ZOO files are also
    sent along (for reference, alas)?

2 - Is the rnews of any use on a 1M machine? (ie has anyone
    tried it already?)

3 - Is it possible to create a local newsgroup and use it
    only amongst a local net of Amigas running the same
    software?  Can the programs handle news batching and
    distributing if one of the Amigas is selected as a hub?
    If not, how difficult would this be to implement in C or
    scripts?

Thanks for any information.  I intend to use this UUCP set
(for it's the most complete I've seen so far) for creating
a Toronto (Canada) local UUCP network for Amigas, with a
gateway to channel UseNet mail from the rest of the world to
our subnet.

Thanks again.

--Frank
--
  Frank Ch. Eigler                                              //
    fche@db.toronto.edu                                        //

dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) (07/04/90)

>In article <90Jun28.102517edt.2765@ois.db.toronto.edu> fche@db.toronto.edu ("Frank Ch. Eigler") writes:
>
>These questions are directed mainly toward Matt himself, but
>if you can give an answer, please do so.
>
>1 - Could the package be distributed in a slightly modified
>    directory structure if the original ZOO files are also
>    sent along (for reference, alas)?

    Your question is too vague (note that I have no access to the
    sources/binaries group, only comp.sys.amiga.tech), could you
    elaborate?

>2 - Is the rnews of any use on a 1M machine? (ie has anyone
>    tried it already?)

    It ought to work fine, especially under 1.06

>3 - Is it possible to create a local newsgroup and use it
>    only amongst a local net of Amigas running the same
>    software?	Can the programs handle news batching and
>    distributing if one of the Amigas is selected as a hub?
>    If not, how difficult would this be to implement in C or
>    scripts?

    News batching is slated for 1.07 or 1.08 (I hope, cross fingers),
    possibly with a CNews port, otherwise I'll write up something.

    You can currently create pseudo news groups with an alias
    (see the manual page for the Aliases file).  I.E. create an alias
    on one machine 'the hub' and simply send mail to that alias.

				-Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
    891 Regal Rd.

graham@dolmen.UUCP (James Graham) (07/05/90)

>In article <dillon.4686@overload.UUCP> dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>>In article <90Jun28.102517edt.2765@ois.db.toronto.edu> fche@db.toronto.edu ("Frank Ch. Eigler") writes:
>>
>>2 - Is the rnews of any use on a 1M machine? (ie has anyone
>>    tried it already?)
>
>    It ought to work fine, especially under 1.06

That's right.  For what it's worth, I have just installed 1.06 on my
Amiga 500 and now have a uucp feed.

Rnews works fine.  In fact, I have other tasks running in the background,
leaving my 1meg machine with 500 to 600 kbytes for uucico and the whole
works to do its job.

Works fine!

 ____________________________________
|graham@iucf.bitnet                  |
|graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu       |
|dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu  |
|The Portal Dolmen BBS (812)334-0418,|
|24 hrs. daily                       |
 ------------------------------------

fche@db.toronto.edu ("Frank Ch. Eigler") (07/07/90)

Matthew Dillon writes:

>>1 - Could the package be distributed in a slightly modified
>>    directory structure if the original ZOO files are also
>>    sent along (for reference, alas)?

>    Your question is too vague (note that I have no access to the
>    sources/binaries group, only comp.sys.amiga.tech), could you
>    elaborate?

I would like to conjure up a UUCP disk set for several possible
hardware configurations that I could hand over to other folks in
the net so they could use it without any further editing, etc.
Or rather, I would like to do all configuring for a set of nodes.

I would put all the MAN files in a ZOO file, all the binaries onto
a installed working disk, make a separate floppy with edited
lib/spool/news, etc..  Do your restrictions discourage this
kind of shuffling?

..  Awaiting 1.07/1.08 eagerly  ..

dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) (07/10/90)

>In article <90Jul6.144814edt.2682@ois.db.toronto.edu> fche@db.toronto.edu ("Frank Ch. Eigler") writes:
>
>I would like to conjure up a UUCP disk set for several possible
>hardware configurations that I could hand over to other folks in
>the net so they could use it without any further editing, etc.
>Or rather, I would like to do all configuring for a set of nodes.
>
>I would put all the MAN files in a ZOO file, all the binaries onto
>a installed working disk, make a separate floppy with edited
>lib/spool/news, etc..	Do your restrictions discourage this
>kind of shuffling?
>
>..  Awaiting 1.07/1.08 eagerly  ..
>
>>    Matthew Dillon	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
>
>--Frank

    When I took over the UUCP distribution I was faced with that very
    question.  To put it frankly, if I had concentrated on making UUCP
    as portable as possible I would still be on version 1.03D instead
    of 1.06D... it simply is too difficult to do with all the features
    I wanted to add.  Take s:crontab for example ... how do you make
    that portable?  Another big one:  filenames.  To make UUCP truely
    portable I would have to limit file names to 8 characters and
    alpha-numerics. There are a billion other little things that come up
    to.

    So I've decided not to try (to make UUCP completely portable).  I
    do not purposefully try to make it Amiga-Only, just that I do not
    concentrate on portability all that much.

					-Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon