[comp.sys.amiga.tech] file name *

lah@raybed2.msd.ray.com (LANCE HOLMES) (06/12/90)

I have a question that may have been asked before but I wasn't listening.

I have a Hardframe and a 40 meg quantum, I have arp installed and I
use conman, ff, and a few other things running.

Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.
I have removed it using a dirutil type program and also found it
to cause me some grief when I tried to use the arp delete command which
treated it as a wild card and proceeded to delete everything.

The file has no size and it wouldn't really bother me if I knew where
it is comming from.

Thanks

Lance Holmes

gerber@buzzer.enet.dec.com (Robert M. Gerber) (06/13/90)

> Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.
> The file has no size and it wouldn't really bother me if I knew where
> it is comming from.
> Thanks
> Lance Holmes

I have had this problem also,  if I remember correctly, it comes from
one of the non-commercial
games.   (Pacman/Spaceinvaders/Asteroids/?)
---------
Robert M. Gerber		  UUCP:	...!decwrl!oldjon.enet!gerber
				  INET:	gerber@oldjon.enet.dec.com

Any opinions represented here are definetly not those of my employer.
Come to think of it, they may not be mine either!

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (06/14/90)

Wish I could help you, this used to happen to me as well, and when it
did the ls that comes with Manx wouldn't list anyfiles!  I found that
delete ? would get rid of it since the only other 1 character things
in my root were directories and they wouldn't delete.
If you find out, please email me.

Patrick Horgan                      phorgan@cup.portal.com

" Seaman) (06/15/90)

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
< Wish I could help you, this used to happen to me as well, and when it
< did the ls that comes with Manx wouldn't list anyfiles!  I found that
< delete ? would get rid of it since the only other 1 character things
< in my root were directories and they wouldn't delete.
< If you find out, please email me.
<
< Patrick Horgan                      phorgan@cup.portal.com

If my memory serves, the '*' file is a byproduct of the player program
from The Director.  I recall noticing the problem after I ran the
'Walker II' demo, and was able to repeat it consistently (i.e., run
'ls dh0:', no '*' file, run Walker II demo, run ls again, erase '*' file).
If I remember right, the problem only occurs when running from the
Workbench.

There may be other programs which have this same problem, but The Director
is the one that comes to mind.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
cseaman@sequent <or>              |||    -- -- -     I'm Outta Here, Man!

matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov (matt of ASTD) (06/15/90)

In article <1636@raybed2.msd.ray.com> lah@raybed2.msd.ray.com (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
>Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.
>I have removed it using a dirutil type program and also found it
>to cause me some grief when I tried to use the arp delete command which
>treated it as a wild card and proceeded to delete everything.

Aha!  So I'm not the only one.  At first I thought I had a virus.
I tried to 'more *', 'less *', 'type *', 'z *' and I got hang city.
Finally I tried 'ced *'.  ced didn't hang (probably because it's
so great), but it didn't show anything even though my * listed as
51 bytes.  I renamed * to junk and 'ced junk' and behold I saw
that junk was a message indicating an error because AREXX could not
be found.  Well, I do use VT1002.9b which does use AREXX.  Could
this be some error message?  Does anyone know for sure?
Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play broken flutes loudly..."

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (06/15/90)

matt of ASTD writes:
>Aha!  So I'm not the only one.  At first I thought I had a virus.
>I tried to 'more *', 'less *', 'type *', 'z *' and I got hang city.
>Finally I tried 'ced *'.  ced didn't hang (probably because it's
>so great), but it didn't show anything even though my * listed as
>51 bytes.  I renamed * to junk and 'ced junk' and behold I saw
>that junk was a message indicating an error because AREXX could not
>be found.  Well, I do use VT1002.9b which does use AREXX.  Could
>this be some error message?  Does anyone know for sure?
>Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
>Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
>"Twisted yellow puppies play broken flutes loudly..."

Hmm... If I remember correctly, the regular CLI uses "*" to mean stdin...
Early C language books for Ami told people to type "copy * hello.c", and
then type the hello.c program, ending with an escape character than means
"end of file" to the console.  I wonder if somebody out there was using that
in their program, and it bugged?

/********************************************************************
 *      All of the above copyright by the below.                    *
 * Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys                        *
 *  "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."  *
 *              Larry Anderson                                      *
 ********************************************************************/

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (06/15/90)

> In article <1636@raybed2.msd.ray.com> lah@raybed2.msd.ray.com (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
> >Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.
> >I have removed it using a dirutil type program and also found it
> >to cause me some grief when I tried to use the arp delete command which
> >treated it as a wild card and proceeded to delete everything.

	I got a file name * from installing and running Falcon, the
origional on my harddrive.  It created the * filename in the root
directory of the partition.  Perhaps you did this?

Chris

--
		barrett@kodak.com ( Chris Barrett )
		 rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (06/15/90)

> In article <1636@raybed2.msd.ray.com> lah@raybed2.msd.ray.com (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
 >Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.

In case you haven't figured out the obvious, the filename occurs when the program
attempts to open the console to print a message, and uses the AmigaDOS-endorsed
method of openning "*", which is defined to be the console. Of course, under
Workbench there is no console, and so a disk file in the current directory
is created with that name instead.
--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) |

matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov (matt of ASTD) (06/16/90)

In article <533@oregon.oacis.org> jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) writes:
>In case you haven't figured out the obvious, the filename occurs when the program
>attempts to open the console to print a message, and uses the AmigaDOS-endorsed
>method of openning "*", which is defined to be the console. Of course, under
>Workbench there is no console, and so a disk file in the current directory
>is created with that name instead.

I thank you for making this point clear, but it is far from obvious
what is happening.  It is kind of you to take the time to explain
what is happening, but by saying "In case you haven't figured out
the obvious" it sounds like you are insulting anyone who may have
not known what the problem was.

I believe that no question on this group should be thought of as
stupid or obvious.  No one should be made to feel bad because of
a question they asked.

So, once again thanks for the info, but it the future could you leave
out statements that demean other members of this group.

P.S. Sorry about the Blazers.  I hate Detroit (I'm from LA).

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (06/16/90)

In article <4077@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> matt@sapphire.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (matt of ASTD) writes:
>I thank you for making this point clear, but it is far from obvious
>what is happening.  It is kind of you to take the time to explain

I humbly apologize for the inconsiderate tone of my statement. I spent 4 or
5 years supporting Amiga programmers, and sometimes tend to forget that might
be an obvious point that was overlooked or forgotten may also be totally
unknown to others. Most of the Amiga community doesn't program, and quite a
lot use the CLI as little as posible.

No sarcasm was intended.
--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

CON: uses * to indicate the current window. It sounds like the programs in
question are passing the file name "*" to the wrong device. Check on redirects
in scripts.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (06/17/90)

In article <533@oregon.oacis.org> jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) writes:
>> In article <1636@raybed2.msd.ray.com> lah@raybed2.msd.ray.com (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
> >Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.
>

>In case you haven't figured out the obvious, the filename occurs when the program
>attempts to open the console to print a message, and uses the AmigaDOS-endorsed
>method of openning "*", which is defined to be the console. Of course, under
>Workbench there is no console, and so a disk file in the current directory
>is created with that name instead.
>--
>John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
>jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) |
>..!sequent!oacis!jmeissen (UUCP)     |               "Go Blazers!!"
>jmeissen                  (BIX)      |

It can also happen when a program that opens a window with file name '*' when
you have redirected its output to NIL:. I ran into this problem with AMXLISP.
Even though I have never seen it direct any output to the window that started
it, when I put 'amxlisp >nil:' in an ICONX script, it would create file '*'
in the root directory of my hard drive. I'm not sure if this has anything to
do with the fact that NIL: is not a 'real' amigados device. I ran across it
with a script I attached to an icon that ran emacs, amxlisp, and started
a cli, and then exited.

ben@servalan.UUCP

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/17/90)

In article <36805@sequent.UUCP>, cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "I'm Outta Here, Man!" Seaman) writes:
> phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
> < Wish I could help you, this used to happen to me as well, and when it
> < did the ls that comes with Manx wouldn't list anyfiles!  I found that
> < delete ? would get rid of it since the only other 1 character things
> < in my root were directories and they wouldn't delete.
> < If you find out, please email me.
> <
> < Patrick Horgan                      phorgan@cup.portal.com
>
> If my memory serves, the '*' file is a byproduct of the player program
> from The Director.  I recall noticing the problem after I ran the
> 'Walker II' demo, and was able to repeat it consistently (i.e., run
> 'ls dh0:', no '*' file, run Walker II demo, run ls again, erase '*' file).
> If I remember right, the problem only occurs when running from the
> Workbench.
>
> There may be other programs which have this same problem, but The Director
> is the one that comes to mind.
>
> --
> Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
> cseaman@sequent <or>              |||    -- -- -     I'm Outta Here, Man!
> ...!uunet!sequent!cseaman         |vvvv/  -- -- -
> The Home of the Killer Smiley     |___/  -- -- --

My understanding is that it is a temporary file written when a batch file
is executed when a T: directory has not been assigned or exist on the boot
disk root directory. I think you'll find the * file always appears in the
root directory of your boot disk.
Regards Alan

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (07/10/90)

In article <1636@raybed2.msd.ray.com> lah@raybed2.msd.ray.com (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
>Does anyone know what is generating a file named *.

Most likely it is created by a program run from the Workbench, probably
a game. A CLI-based program can open a file-handle to the console by
specifying a file name "*". However, under Workbench there is no console,
and it probably results in a file by that name being created in the
current directory. Probably whatever is doing it is trying to print a
message on the console. Next time try typing the contents before deleting
it.