[comp.sys.amiga.tech] BAD and A3000

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (07/07/90)

Does the disk optimizing program BAD work on the A3000 when running in
1.3 mode? (I know it does not like 2.0)
-Roger
(Any real bad problems with BAD and C= equipment, it has always worked
fine for me using my Hardframe and a Quantum Q80s on a 2500/30)

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

djh@metaphor.metaphor.com (Dallas Hodgson) (07/10/90)

In article <3420@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>Does the disk optimizing program BAD work on the A3000 when running in
>1.3 mode? (I know it does not like 2.0)
>-Roger
>(Any real bad problems with BAD and C= equipment, it has always worked
>fine for me using my Hardframe and a Quantum Q80s on a 2500/30)

No it does not - it requires the "A2091" fix, which is smart enough to handle
odd-length partitions. I sent in my BAD disk for replacement 2 months ago
and STILL have not received a new version - despite may long-distance
calls to one of the authors. They DO have a fix, they're just lazy about
sending it out.

In <1594@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
> ... even more recently (this week) the BBS underwent a catastrophic
>failure (the HD was ACCIDENTALLY (? we still don't know how) formatted by
>another person in the house, just as the backup tape was being blanked for a
>new automatic backup...

_THE_ backup tape? Sheesh! I can just hear the reasoning...

"Well, I have this backup in my hand. What should I do with it? I know, I'll
clobber it, then hope that nothing goes wrong before I get another backup
put nto it."

Lesson #1 about backups is that the backup that is being written over is
useless. Worth nothing. Zilch. Use at least two generations, three or more is
preferable. Rotate them. This way, you have one that you will be writing over
(the oldest, and about to be rendered a non-backup), and two more, in case one
has a problem.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (07/15/90)

In article <1303@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@metaphor.metaphor.com (Dallas Hodgson) writes:
>In article <3420@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>>Does the disk optimizing program BAD work on the A3000 when running in
>>1.3 mode? (I know it does not like 2.0)
>
>No it does not - it requires the "A2091" fix, which is smart enough to handle
>odd-length partitions. I sent in my BAD disk for replacement 2 months ago
>and STILL have not received a new version - despite may long-distance
>calls to one of the authors. They DO have a fix, they're just lazy about
>sending it out.

Well, not "lazy" per se, just overworked - they are trying to do too much
for the amount of manpower they have and customer support has at times lagged
somewhat... and even more recently (this week) the BBS underwent a catastrophic
failure (the HD was ACCIDENTALLY (? we still don't know how) formatted by
another person in the house, just as the backup tape was being blanked for a
new automatic backup... the last surviving floppy-based backup is over a year
old.  The system will be down indefinitely, and we're not sure what it'll be
like when it comes back up.  It was for a long time the state's biggest, most
active 100% Amiga board).  Anyway, yes there is a fix, it's still called
"v3.15" because "it's too tiny a fix to warrant bumping the revision number",
and I've forwarded your message to one of the authors.

B.A.D. 4.0 (the one I've been talking about since February) is still in the
final testing stages... they can't seem to actually get the thing done, they
keep tweaking things here and there to get it JUST right... but when it is,
it'll be fully 2.0 compatible and will have some great Virtual memory routines
to allow it to use spare space on the HD in the event you don't have enough
contiguous RAM to do the job.  Among numerous other safety features.  This
is a total rewrite that's been in the works for over a year.  He's currently
saying "another month".

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|