[comp.sys.amiga.tech] missplaced icons

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (07/10/90)

hello out there,

I've a little problem with snapshoting my icons on the workbench. I own
a gvp impact 3001 board with a few megs of ram. on the workbench are only
4 icons but a can't snapshot them. they come up where they want. so, if
someone has had the same problem, or can help me please email me.

thanks, cu josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood) (07/11/90)

.
>In article <0986.AA0986@augs.ccs.imp.com> josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) writes:
>
>I've a little problem with snapshoting my icons on the workbench. I own
>a gvp impact 3001 board with a few megs of ram. on the workbench are only
>4 icons but a can't snapshot them. they come up where they want. so, if
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>someone has had the same problem, or can help me please email me.
>
>thanks, cu josef

I've encountered this before...especially since I started using an
icon editor that would save my modified icon file without the 'd'
(delete) protection bit set for the file.  Do a 'list' command and
check for a line like:

	tools.info                   934 ----rwed 10-Mar-90 21:02:21
	                                        ^
	----------------------------------------|

If that 'd' is missing, then the 'snapshot' function won't re-write
your icon file with the new screen locatons.  Use the Protect command
(I *think* - I use SKsh, and it has 'chmod' ) to set the delete
protection bit ON.  Then the snapshot _should_  work.

Hope this does the trick!

>--
><  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
><  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >
><  CH - 4852 Rothrist      |                                           >
><  Switzerland             |         AUGS:    as SYSOP (acc #1)        >

--
               -----------------------------
|\    |  |    | Become  an                  |  uunet!digi!woodwrk!dick
               -----------------------------
--

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (07/12/90)

In article <0986.AA0986@augs.ccs.imp.com>, josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) writes:
> hello out there,
>
> I've a little problem with snapshoting my icons on the workbench. I own
> a gvp impact 3001 board with a few megs of ram. on the workbench are only
> 4 icons but a can't snapshot them. they come up where they want. so, if
> someone has had the same problem, or can help me please email me.
>
> thanks, cu josef

I have the same type of problem with my dh0: icon.  It refuses to come up
where I want it to.  The strange thing is, it used to come up in one place
(a place I liked) but all of the sudden it started comming up in a different
place (a place I don't like).  Soooo, I would also appreciate any help with
this.

Thanks,,,,
RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (07/16/90)

	Can someone please tell me what Arexx is ? Is there an implementation
guide available ?

Jeff S. Dickson					jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (07/18/90)

In article <4306@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jdickson@jpl-mil.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:

>	Can someone please tell me what Arexx is ? Is there an implementation
>guide available ?

>Jeff S. Dickson					jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov

AREXX is an implementation of the REXX language for the Amiga.  Essentially,
it is a scripting language that allows you to control those applications
that have "an AREXX port".  This offerse several benefits to you.

	1) A consistent base set of instructions common across all the
	   applications.

	2) An easy way to cause several programs to interact with each other,
	   share data, etc.

AREXX is now part of OS 2.0, and the 2.0 documentation set contains a section
on AREXX.  If, on the other hand, you do not want to wait for 2.0 to get
started with AREXX, I believe that the original implementor of AREXX,
Bill Hawes, still sells his original version of it.

	William S. Hawes
	P.O. Box 308
	Maynard MA 01754

			-- Kevin --

--
Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.