[comp.sys.amiga.tech] New ParNET slow?

stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) (07/13/90)

I just upgraded the ParNET (1.0?) I was using to the newly distributed
version that came over binaries. (2.0?)

Has anyone noticed it being about half (or less) the speed of its
predecessor???

I do backups across it from an A500 w/48 meg SCSI drive to an A2000 w/tape and
and what used to take a little over an hour to handle the whole backup (to
tape) was only about 19megs (out of 44 meg) into the backup after 2.5 hours!!
I finally stopped the backup figuring something is wrong here.
Does the new parpnet.handler do something much slower than the earlier
parnet.handler?  For now, I'm going to go back to 1.0 ParNet.

I havn't tried any diskperf tests across ParNET to compare the two.. if I
get a chance I'll do that and post the comparisons here (if they show the
differences I suspect)

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (07/14/90)

In article <13197@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) writes:
>I just upgraded the ParNET (1.0?) I was using to the newly distributed
>version that came over binaries. (2.0?)
>
>Has anyone noticed it being about half (or less) the speed of its
>predecessor???

Hadn't noticed it, but ran diskperf & it was very close to 1/2 the
speed of ParNet Version 1.

>Does the new parpnet.handler do something much slower than the earlier
>parnet.handler?  For now, I'm going to go back to 1.0 ParNet.

Fixes some problems, introduced a few others. The Amiga shell can't cd
to a net: directory. Cshell4.01 can cd, but can't find anything when it
gets there.  I have to use absolute pathnames for everything but my old
friend...

  Browser!!!

(Peter: Thanks. I bet you thought everyone was going to throw away Browser when
2.0 came out. Fact is that Browser is about an order of magnitude faster in
moving files than Workbench 2.0 is. Think I'll keep it around :^)

Anyway, Browser works fine with parnet v.2.

One other interesting item:
I started up cputrap on the 2500 parnet server when diskperf was running across parnet
& got a rash of invalid memory accesses.

FAULT ADDRESS:           32
TASK NAME:               PARNET.DEVICE

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) (07/18/90)

In article <13197@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) writes:
>I just upgraded the ParNET (1.0?) I was using to the newly distributed
>version that came over binaries. (2.0?)
>
>Has anyone noticed it being about half (or less) the speed of its
>predecessor???

I wasn't aware that the speed difference was THAT great, but I did accidentally
compile it with a 1k buffer size instead of 8k because I had been working with
TSSNet, which was limited to 1k buffers.  Matt had earlier upped the buffer
size to improve performance.  As soon as work cools down a little I will be
getting parnet3 out, which should fix it.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)382-8265 =
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (07/19/90)

>Hadn't noticed it, but ran diskperf & it was very close to 1/2 the
>speed of ParNet Version 1.
>
>>Does the new parpnet.handler do something much slower than the earlier
>>parnet.handler?  For now, I'm going to go back to 1.0 ParNet.

    Ow, there is something wrong here... At least on my A1000 the speed
    stayed around 28KBytes/sec between versions.  Perhaps the speed of the
    2500 is causing some inefficiency that I did not notice with my A1000.

>Fixes some problems, introduced a few others. The Amiga shell can't cd
>to a net: directory. Cshell4.01 can cd, but can't find anything when it
>gets there.  I have to use absolute pathnames for everything but my old
>friend...

    ????  Doesn't happen to me!  I can CD just fine!

>One other interesting item:
>I started up cputrap on the 2500 parnet server when diskperf was running across parnet
>& got a rash of invalid memory accesses.
>
>FAULT ADDRESS: 	  32
>TASK NAME:		  PARNET.DEVICE

    Grr... I need some of these debugging programs!  Actually, I need to
    get myself an A3000 to make use of the MMU for debugging.  The 1.06
    UUCP UUCico also has memory problems.

--

					    -Matt

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
    Berkeley, Ca. 94708
    USA