[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Want to use A3000 Display Enhancer and CMI VI-500 RF Modulator

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (07/06/90)

	I am absolutely amazed at what the new display enhancer does
to standard Amiga graphics screens.  Even though Shadow of the Beast
does not work with my A3000, I get some of the initial screens
(check out the screen that looks like the box cover w/ and w/out
the disp. enh.. WOW!!).  Now, I own a CMI VI-500 RF converter and
have used it with an A2000 to dump Amiga graphics to video tape.
I know that the A3000 has a 23 pin connector to which I could hook
my encoder AND I also have 2 connectors which came with my A3000
which will convert from the connector for the 31 KHz out to a
23 pin connector.  So I have a couple of questions.  One, does
the display enhancer affect the data output on the standard
15.?? KHz 23-pin connector on the A3000?  If not, is there
ANY reason (such as "the CMI cannot handle 31 KHz") why I cannot
use the 31 KHz to 23-pin converter to hook up my encoder to
the 31 KHz out so that I can dump these display-enhanced images
to video tape??  This would be a MAJOR Boon for the Amiga video
market, since the images NOW look much better.  Are the images
processed with the display enhancer NOT NTSC compatible???

Any information on what can and cannot be done w.r.t. this stuff
would be appreciated.  I am sure that a lot of potential and current
A3000 owners would be interested in this information.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (07/10/90)

In article <1071@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
>	I am absolutely amazed at what the new display enhancer does
>to standard Amiga graphics screens.  Even though Shadow of the Beast
>does not work with my A3000, I get some of the initial screens
>(check out the screen that looks like the box cover w/ and w/out
>the disp. enh.. WOW!!).  Now, I own a CMI VI-500 RF converter and
>have used it with an A2000 to dump Amiga graphics to video tape.
>I know that the A3000 has a 23 pin connector to which I could hook
>my encoder AND I also have 2 connectors which came with my A3000
>which will convert from the connector for the 31 KHz out to a
>23 pin connector.  So I have a couple of questions.  One, does
>the display enhancer affect the data output on the standard
>15.?? KHz 23-pin connector on the A3000?  If not, is there
>ANY reason (such as "the CMI cannot handle 31 KHz") why I cannot
>use the 31 KHz to 23-pin converter to hook up my encoder to
>the 31 KHz out so that I can dump these display-enhanced images
>to video tape??  This would be a MAJOR Boon for the Amiga video
>market, since the images NOW look much better.  Are the images
>processed with the display enhancer NOT NTSC compatible???
    >
>Any information on what can and cannot be done w.r.t. this stuff
>would be appreciated.  I am sure that a lot of potential and current
>A3000 owners would be interested in this information.

The A3000 Display Enhancer's output is 31.5Khz and is NOT recordable on
any VCR since the VCRs must have 15.734Khz video.  Sorry but it is a no
go.   Hope you enjoy your new A3000!

Scott

>Thanks,
>
>Scott Sutherland
>sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/19/90)

In article <1071@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
>I know that the A3000 has a 23 pin connector to which I could hook
>my encoder AND I also have 2 connectors which came with my A3000
>which will convert from the connector for the 31 KHz out to a
>23 pin connector.

No, you have an adapter that allows the 15-pin VGA cable from the A1950
monitor to plug into the 23-pin connector.  The adaptor does not create
at 31 KHz signal - it buffers and passes the 15 KHz signal to the monitor,
which is capable of displaying an image at that low frequency.

>One, does the display enhancer affect the data output on the standard
>15.?? KHz 23-pin connector on the A3000?

No, it does not.

>If not, is there ANY reason why I cannot use the 31 KHz to 23-pin converter
>to hook up my encoder to the 31 KHz out so that I can dump these
>display-enhanced images to video tape??

The adapter only passes signals from the 23-pin end to the 15-pin end.
It can't be used backwards.

>Are the images processed with the display enhancer NOT NTSC compatible???

You got it.  NTSC runs at a horizontal frequency of 15.750 KHz and a frame
rate of 30 Hz.  The display enhancer puts out a signal running at 31.500 KHz
and a frame rate of 60 Hz.  That is very definately out-of-spec for any
NTSC compliant device, such as your CMI Encoder, your VCR, or your TV.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms