[comp.sys.amiga.tech] GURU QUESTION

alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn V) (07/06/90)

If there are any GURU experts out there...  Please tell me what the
following GURUs mean:

     0000000B.00C050A8
     00000004.00C050A8

When I try to boot, I start getting some floppy access, then the power
LED starts pulsating a little, then a GURU (0000000B.00C050A8).  If I
press the left mouse button, it comes up.

System:  A2000.  GVP SCSI controller w/2 meg of RAM installed.
         1.2 ROMs.  (At first I thought it was a conflict with my
         old 2Meg RAM card and the GVP RAM so I pulled out the 2Meg
         RAM card.  Still happens (less frequent, but still happens).

Comments Please???

 - alfredo jahn
--
--------------------------------//----------------------------------------
 Alfredo Jahn V                //   Internet: alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/19/90)

In article <alfredo.7186@ajahnv.lonestar.org> alfredo@ajahnv.lonestar.org (Alfredo Jahn V) writes:
>If there are any GURU experts out there...  Please tell me what the
>following GURUs mean:
>     0000000B.00C050A8
>     00000004.00C050A8
>When I try to boot, I start getting some floppy access, then the power
>LED starts pulsating a little, then a GURU (0000000B.00C050A8).  If I
>press the left mouse button, it comes up.
>System:  A2000.  GVP SCSI controller w/2 meg of RAM installed.
>         1.2 ROMs.  (At first I thought it was a conflict with my
>         old 2Meg RAM card and the GVP RAM so I pulled out the 2Meg
>         RAM card.  Still happens (less frequent, but still happens).

I had a very similar problem just last night.  After adding more chips to
the RAM card, my Amiga would fail to boot 9 times out of 10.  And when it
did come up, typing AVAIL showed that the new memory was not being seen
consistently.  It died with GURUs of 03., 04., 0B., etc.  After removing
all the new RAM chips, it worked fine.  Then I noticed that one of the pins
on one chip had folded over.  It had been making intermittant contact with
the socket, depending on vibrations from the fan.  Straightening it and
re-inserting all the chips fixed the problem.

The problem can be a bent pin on an IC, a bad solder joint on a socket,
or a defective IC.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms