[comp.sys.amiga.tech] KickStart 2.0 in RAM

ajbrouw@neabbs.UUCP (ALBERT-JAN BROUWER) (07/18/90)

Dave Haynie writes:
> I use SetCPU V1.6, which has been released, along with source.  The other
> thing I use is a proper version of the 2.0 ROM image. SetCPU V1.6 will work
> with ROM images assembled for $00F80000 or $00F00000, but they must be the
> kind that work on an A2500.  The ROM images included with the A3000 won't
> work on an A2500; they're apparently looking for A3000 specific things.

How about distributing a kickstart image that CAN be used?

As I understand it Amiga 2500/2000/1000/500 owners with some additional fast
RAM could load 2.0 by using either SetCPU (2500) or KickIt (<2500), provided
they have a Kick with properly relocated absolute references.

The need does ofcourse exist of being able to run 2.0 *NOW* without having
to wait for the ROM+ECS distribution to get upto speed, which will take
atleast another few months. Indeed, for A1000 owners this will be the only way
to run 2.0 without having to buy a new motherboard or Kick plug-in sockets.

It should be possible for someone at CBM to assemble 2.0 at 2 different
locations, compare the differences to find the absolute references and
use these to make a small tool that can relocate the given image to an
appropriate location.

This should lead up tot CBM posting a package to c.b.a (with priority
override) consisting of:
- A 2.0 KickStart image
- A relocator
- KickIt (Probably not widely available)

I see no large technical problems with this. Perhaps some legal stuff,
but who cares about that?

--
-Albert (hp4nl!neabbs!ajbrouw)
Qvfnccbvagvat vfa'g vg? Ab bofprar wbxr, abg rira n enpvny erznex.

In <421374@neabbs.UUCP>, ajbrouw@neabbs.UUCP (ALBERT-JAN BROUWER) writes:
>Dave Haynie writes:
>> I use SetCPU V1.6, which has been released, along with source.  The other
>> thing I use is a proper version of the 2.0 ROM image. SetCPU V1.6 will work
>> with ROM images assembled for $00F80000 or $00F00000, but they must be the
>> kind that work on an A2500.  The ROM images included with the A3000 won't
>> work on an A2500; they're apparently looking for A3000 specific things.
>
>How about distributing a kickstart image that CAN be used?

They already do. You too can get one by registering as a certified developer.

>This should lead up tot CBM posting a package to c.b.a (with priority
>override) consisting of:
>- A 2.0 KickStart image
>- A relocator
>- KickIt (Probably not widely available)
>
>I see no large technical problems with this. Perhaps some legal stuff,
>but who cares about that?

You're funny, Albert.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (07/18/90)

>How about distributing a kickstart image that CAN be used?
>
>The need does ofcourse exist of being able to run 2.0 *NOW*...
>--
>-Albert (hp4nl!neabbs!ajbrouw)
>Qvfnccbvagvat vfa'g vg? Ab bofprar wbxr, abg rira n enpvny erznex.

2.0 will be available as a ROM upgrade later this year.  You will
be able to purchase it through your local dealer.
If you are running 2.0 now, you are one of two types of people:

	1.  An A3000 owner.
	2.  An Amiga developer who has registered with Commodore
	    and signed a non-disclosure agreement.

In either case, Commodore has provided an approved method of running
2.0 on your system.  If you do not fit into one of these catagories,
then you must have a pirated copy of the ROMs.

If you have a pirated copy of the ROMs, please send your name, address
and phone number, along with any information on how you came to have
the copy (name, address, phone, bbs password, etc.) to:

	CATS
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, PA 19380

Thank-you for your support.   ;-)

Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) (07/19/90)

In article <13272@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:

>2.0 will be available as a ROM upgrade later this year.  You will

This wouldn't happen to be the doings of marketing trying to get the common-
man to buy A3000's if they want to use 2.0, now would it??  What's so hard
about putting 2.0 in a 16-bit ROM that it is going to take a few months??

Maybe I'm being a *bit* childish here, but I'd really like to know what the
hold-up is.

--
Dan Cogswell                          "In a world full of Ninja Turtles, it's
INET: dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu    nice to see Aikido Yoshinkai has

In article <2118@vela.acs.oakland.edu> dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:
>In article <13272@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>>
>>2.0 will be available as a ROM upgrade later this year.  You will
>This wouldn't happen to be the doings of marketing trying to get the common-
>man to buy A3000's if they want to use 2.0, now would it??  What's so hard
>about putting 2.0 in a 16-bit ROM that it is going to take a few months??

	Remember that 2.0 on the A3000 is soft-loaded - i.e. not in rom.
Burning roms is expensive (especially big roms), and also you don't want to
have to change roms often (it's expensive for you, too).  Waiting for an A2000
(rom) version gives Commodore more time so we can be sure the roms released
will be as stable as possible.  A3000's can be upgraded easily until the rom
version is ready.

	I think you're over-reacting - the delay for 16-bit roms is not
a marketing ploy.  Keep calm, they're coming.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"