[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A3000 & changing the Kickstart image at runtime?

stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) (07/18/90)

Hi there!
A nice feature of the A3000 is, that you can load two different Kickstart
images (1.3 & 2.0) at power up time. But the documentation says nothing about
changing the Kickstart image at runtime.

Is there a solution to this problem (e.g. a program) or do I have to switch
off the A3000 every time when I want to change the Kickstart?

	Stefan

Mail	: Stefan Becker, Holsteinstrasse 9, 5100 Aachen, West Germany +-------+
Phone	: +49-241-505705	FIDO: 2:242/7.6	    +-----------------+	  Call|
InterNet: stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de |Place free for ad's  now!|
UUCP	: ..mcvax!unido!rwthinf!cip-s02!stefanb	    +-------------------------+

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (07/22/90)

In article <3116@rwthinf.UUCP> stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) writes:
>Hi there!
>A nice feature of the A3000 is, that you can load two different Kickstart
>images (1.3 & 2.0) at power up time. But the documentation says nothing about
>changing the Kickstart image at runtime.
>
>Is there a solution to this problem (e.g. a program) or do I have to switch
>off the A3000 every time when I want to change the Kickstart?

If you notice when you boot up the system only recognizes the partition for the
operating system you are currently using. If you boot under 1.3 you have a
partition called "System1.3" but the partition "System2.0" isn't available at
all and vice-versa. The kickstart images are loaded from your harddrive for
the time being. And they are located on their respected partitions. So the
answer to your question is no.  As soon as 2.0 is set in stone you will
receive all of 2.0 in ROM. At that time 1.3 won't be available to you at all.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

In article <14389@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
> If you boot under 1.3 you have a
> partition called "System1.3" but the partition "System2.0" isn't available at
> all and vice-versa.
> As soon as 2.0 is set in stone you will
> receive all of 2.0 in ROM. At that time 1.3 won't be available to you at all.

Well, I'm getting ready to get a better amiga, by jumping up to a 3000. This
makes me nervous: I've got quite a bit of software that might or might not
run under 2.0. I even kickstart 1.1 on occasion to run Marble Madness. Is
there any way of kicking a 1.3 kickstart disk on a 3000, say by playing games
with the MMU?

Or should I keep my aging 1000 and use ParNet to hook them together? I was
thinking of selling it and using the proceeds on a high-res monitor.

(why didn't you upgrade, they ask? I didn't have the money then)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.