[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SetCPU 1.6

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (07/18/90)

I guess this is to Dave.  I got SetCPU 1.6 off of xanth (You *are* the one
who wrote this one, right?  I'm not dealing with some insidious virus, am I?)
and it has a little quirk.  When I run it with the command line

	SetCPU FASTROM CACHE

then the program Dyna-Show stops working (garbage all over the screen).  If I
fall back to SetCPU 1.5, with the same command line, everything is fine.  Any
ideas?

I have a stock 2500/30, workbench 1.3.2.

Thanks,
kenny
--
         Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
          Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

In article <3341@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:

>I guess this is to Dave.  I got SetCPU 1.6 off of xanth (You *are* the one
>who wrote this one, right?  I'm not dealing with some insidious virus, am I?)
>and it has a little quirk.  When I run it with the command line

>	SetCPU FASTROM CACHE

>then the program Dyna-Show stops working (garbage all over the screen).  If I
>fall back to SetCPU 1.5, with the same command line, everything is fine.  Any
>ideas?

Hmm, that's a strange one.  If you give the command:

	SetCPU FASTROM CACHE NOSTACK

you should get arbitrarily close to the setup you would have with SetCPU V1.5,
eg, plain old FASTROM (no patches), data and instruction caches turned on.
The other difference is that SetCPU V1.6 flushes all I, D, and sometimes
address translation caches when you run it.  That's a pretty weird on, in
any case.  I'll let you know if I think of any other obvious differences...

>         Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
>          Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP
>           Columbia, S.C. 29208   \\\/   (803)777-6686

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (07/20/90)

In article <13296@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
+In article <3341@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
+
+>[...]
[...]

That's either the first or second thing I tried.  As far as I can determine,
any invocation of 1.6 with the FASTROM switch on munges Dyna-Show.

Go figure, eh?

+Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

kenny
--

In article <3346@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:

>That's either the first or second thing I tried.  As far as I can determine,
>any invocation of 1.6 with the FASTROM switch on munges Dyna-Show.

>Go figure, eh?

Really.  While I can't think of any real differences, there's apparently some
thing happening here.  You're of course free to continue using SetCPU V1.5
instead of SetCPU V1.6 if it seems to work better.  If I get any idea as to
what's happening, especially via a second program failing, I may be able to
"gp figure".  Right now, I'm about as confused as anyone else on this.

>kenny

           The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (07/23/90)

In article <13346@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
+In article <3346@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
+
+>That's either the first or second thing I tried.  As far as I can determine,
+>any invocation of 1.6 with the FASTROM switch on munges Dyna-Show.
+
+>Go figure, eh?
+
+Really.  While I can't think of any real differences, there's apparently some
+thing happening here.  You're of course free to continue using SetCPU V1.5
+instead of SetCPU V1.6 if it seems to work better.  If I get any idea as to
+what's happening, especially via a second program failing, I may be able to
+"gp figure".  Right now, I'm about as confused as anyone else on this.

I might consider continuing to use 1.5, except that the FastBench Patch
caused a few programs to complain about not being able to find the Workbench.
So far, Dyna-Show is the only thing that has had problems with 1.6, and I
never use Dyna-Show (except occasionally to show off cool pictures to jealous
friends).

Did 1.4 do the FASTROM stuff the same way 1.5 did?  It might be worth noting
that D-S works under SetCPU 1.4 as well.