[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Lattice vs Manx

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (07/13/90)

In article <544@beguine.UUCP>, Scott.Maxwell@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>      Uh, I'm a little confused by what I've read regarding Lattice C v. Aztec
> C. Everybody seems to say (a) Aztec usually produces faster code, (b) Aztec
> usually produces the code faster (that is to say, it compiles faster),
> (c) Aztec is cheaper, and (d) Lattice is more widely used.
>      Now, that can't all be right -- unless Lattice has *vastly* superior
> advertising or something, and I can't imagine that would be enough to make the
> difference. Assuming I'm right about points (a), (b) and (c), though, why the
> heck is (d) true? Does Lattice offer better support? What have I missed?
>
> --
> Scott Maxwell (CSMAXWEL@ECUVM1.BITNET or Scott.Maxwell@samba.acs.unc.edu)

When it comes to compiler writing,

"You can do it; or you can do it RIGHT."

Manx do it.

Regards Alan

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (07/15/90)

In article <544@beguine.UUCP>, Scott.Maxwell@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) wr
ites:
+     Uh, I'm a little confused by what I've read regarding Lattice C v. Aztec
+C. Everybody seems to say (a) Aztec usually produces faster code, (b) Aztec
+usually produces the code faster (that is to say, it compiles faster),
+(c) Aztec is cheaper, and (d) Lattice is more widely used.
+     Now, that can't all be right -- unless Lattice has *vastly* superior
+advertising or something, and I can't imagine that would be enough to make th
+difference. Assuming I'm right about points (a), (b) and (c), though, why the
+heck is (d) true? Does Lattice offer better support? What have I missed?
+
+--
+Scott Maxwell (CSMAXWEL@ECUVM1.BITNET or Scott.Maxwell@samba.acs.unc.edu)
You got me.  I think that there are two reasons.  First, the Lattice compiler
was initially, the "official" compiler, i.e. the people from C= used it.
The other reason is that they got their ANSI "compatible" compiler out first.
That could be a bad point too, though, since if you compare the volume of
reports of Lattice 5.0 bugs to Manx's 5.0 bugs it's pretty clear that
Lattice should have waited and done more beta testing before release.  I've
used both in most releases and myself consistently prefer Manx.  The people
at Manx are really nice and VERY helpful (a nice change from the early days).
Mike Spille, the sysop of their bulletin board is a nice guy who will ALWAYS
bend over backward to fix your problem (even when it's your own bone-headed
error:).  Owners of 5.0 can call and immediately get 5.0c shipped to them.
Call their toll-free sales number, 800-221-0440, (out of country use the
international sales number 201-542-2121).  If you've already got 5.0b don't
have a cow man:)  5.0c just has a little change in the installation program.
The compiler et.al. are all unchanged.  (I checked with Mike when I heard
about 5.0c, being a little paranoid myself;).
	One nice thing, it's much easier to port the Lattice code to Manx
and vice-versa since the two ANSI compatible compilers came out.  Usually
it's just a matter of changing a couple of includes.  I think the competition
between Manx and Lattice (SAS) is great.  I wish SAS had more competition on
mainframes.  I hate their 370 assembler (not related to the Amiga one).

Patrick Horgan                          phorgan@cup.portal.com

gcglan@sdrc.UUCP (Frank Glandorf) (07/19/90)

In article <31738@cup.portal.com>, phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
> Owners of 5.0 can call and immediately get 5.0c shipped to them.
> Call their toll-free sales number, 800-221-0440, (out of country use the
> international sales number 201-542-2121).
> Patrick Horgan                          phorgan@cup.portal.com

Actually 5.0b will cost five dollars. Or you call call their BBS
and down load it but you have to register and that takes a couple
of days too. (BBS # 201-542-2793).
-Frank

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (07/19/90)

In article <1509@sdrc.UUCP>, gcglan@sdrc.UUCP (Frank Glandorf) writes:
> In article <31738@cup.portal.com>, phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John
> Horgan) writes:
> > Owners of 5.0 can call and immediately get 5.0c shipped to them.
> > Call their toll-free sales number, 800-221-0440, (out of country use the
> > international sales number 201-542-2121).
> > Patrick Horgan                          phorgan@cup.portal.com
>
> Actually 5.0b will cost five dollars. Or you call call their BBS
> and down load it but you have to register and that takes a couple
> of days too. (BBS # 201-542-2793).
> -Frank

I'm sure that 5.0b will cost $5 _only_ if you are outside of the country (USA).
The motd on the Manx BBS says the upgrade is free, and I got the same
impression from the sales rep when I ordered 5.0b.  BTW, they will accept
payment over the phone by VISA / MC.

Now the question is...where did you hear of 5.0c, Patrick?  I haven't seen it
mentioned on their BBS.

Last comment...if you have the developer's package, downloading the 3 lharc'ed
files containing (complete) binaries (ie not patches) will take at least 40
minutes (2400 baud max)...which you have to consider, if you're calling long
distance.

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (07/24/90)

Just to try to clarify things a bit (through murky glass of course:),
I got my update off of the Manx BBS, so I don't have first hand knowledge
of the $5.00 media fee.  A freind of mine with 5.0 assures me that when
he called the sales office they charged him to upgrade.  The $5.00s is
just to cover media costs though.  I heard of 5.0c here (of course).
To reiterate, it involves ONLY a change in the installation program, so
if you have 5.0b, then you're not missing anything.  Last time I
checked the source is not available on the BBS (for 5.0b/c).:(

Patrick Horgan                         phorgan@cup.portal.com