[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AmigaUUCP 1.06D

greg@noel.CTS.COM (J. Gregory Noel) (07/09/90)

John Bickers (jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz) writes:
>    My NewsFeed provides mail in a format AmigaUUCP doesn't seem to expect
>    - in particular the message body does not have a From line ...

If your feed sends you mail over a UUCP link that does not begin with a From_
line, then it is broken.  Get them to fix it.

>    Instead, the message envelope has an 'R' line in it defining a return
>    target address. ...

In the event that mail passes through a relay site, the 'R' line will contain
an ID for the process at the relay site, often 'uucp' or some such, not the
original 'R'eturn address.
--
-- J. Gregory Noel, UNIX Guru       greg@noel.cts.com  or  greg@noel.uucp

jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz (John Bickers) (07/09/90)

    My NewsFeed provides mail in a format AmigaUUCP doesn't seem to expect
    - in particular the message body does not have a From line (it does
    have a From: line. Note the colon. Different things).

    Instead, the message envelope has an 'R' line in it defining a return
    target address. For example:

    BODY HEADER ==================== D.actribf8e800 ====================

-|> >   Received: by actrix.co.nz; Mon, 9 Jul 90 20:16:29 NZS

    ENVELOPE ======================= D.templ8049800 ====================

-|> >   R john@actrix.co.nz
    >   F D.actribf8e800
    >   I D.actribf8e800
    >   C rmail templar.actrix.co.nz!jbickers

    So what I'd like to know is:

    1.  Have any other AmigaUUCP sites (other than my own neighbors :) had
        this problem?

    2.  Is it ok for me to modify uuxqt or whatever, so that it adds a
        From line to the body header, taking the data from the 'R' field
        in the envelope? Or should I get my NewsFeed to add a From line
        themselves?

    Uuxqt (or one of the programs in the AmigaUUCP processing chain) IS
    adding a From line now, but seems to be adding rubbish. To the above
    message, it would (DID, in fact) add a line like:

    >   From NZS!ved: Mon, 9 Jul 90 21:56:41 PST

    which looks like a munging of the Received: header line and the time
    (ie: trying to read the Received: line as a From line).

    My NewsFeed is running Elm, if that tingles anyone's memory banks.
    Another data point is that in NZ we don't have .UUCP addressing. All
    domain names now.

    I can be emailed... (hint :)
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.         jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz ***
***           "Man, Machine -> Super Human Being" - Kraftwerk.          ***

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (07/15/90)

In article <4761.tnews@templar.actrix.co.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>    1.  Have any other AmigaUUCP sites (other than my own neighbors :) had
>        this problem?

No, but I'm still having the same problems as I've had for the past month...
Ever since my HD crashed (during a UUCP session, actually, just as uucico
was exiting, process "DH0:" crashed...) and I did the old backup'n'restore,
it hasn't worked properly.  Rather, it worked once afterward but not since.
I upgraded to 1.06D about that time.  Anyhow, I'm posting this AGAIN in hopes
that SOMEONE can help me.  I've tried everything.

The current problem is that I can make a successful connection to my host and
SOMETHING seems to get transfered (judging by the modem lights) but then after
a minute or so it hangs up and I get a mysterious error message in my SPOOL:
logfile.  I made NO changes to the configs between my last successful session
and the first bad one, and I've tried a lot of different things including
re-installing BOTH 1.05 and 1.06 from scratch.  For a while I was getting
nothing at all in the logfile but now I get the following error message every
time I try:
  (7/2-16:25:35) uucico,AmigaUUCP,- Startup V1.05D
  (7/2-16:26:00) uucico,nyx,- DIALED nyx
  (7/2-16:26:15) uucico,nyx,- SUCCEEDED call to nyx
  (7/2-16:26:20) uucico,nyx,- OK Startup
  (7/2-16:26:20) uucico,nyx,bscott REQUEST S D.nyxB3175 D.nyxB3175 bscott -
	  D.nyxB3175 0666 bscott
  (7/2-16:29:14) uucico,nyx,bscott REQUEST S D.nyxX3172 X.nyxX3173 bscott -
  	D.nyxX3172 0666 bscott
  (7/2-16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Error in work file UUSPOOL:C.nyxA3174
  (7/2--16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Bad line is:  S D.nyxX3172 X.nyxX3173
 	 bscott - D.nyxX3172 0666
  (7/2-16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott REQUEST S D.nyxB3179 D.nyxB3179 bscott -
 	 D.nyxB3179 0666 bscott
  (7/2-16:29:57) uucico,nyx,bscott Error in work file UUSPOOL:C.nyxA3178
  (7/2-16:29:58) uucico,nyx,bscott Bad line is:  S D.nyxB3179 D.nyxB3179
 	 bscott - D.nyxB3179 0666
  (7/2-16:29:58) uucico,nyx,bscott REQUEST S D.nyxX3176 X.nyxX3177 bscott -
 	 D.nyxX3176 0666 bscott
  (7/22-16:30:19) uucico,nyx,bscott Error in work file UUSPOOL:C.nyxA3178
  (7/2-16:30:19) uucico,nyx,bscott Bad line iis:  S D.nyxX3176 X.nyxX3177
 	 bscott - D.nyxX3176 0666

(ASCII send a bit flaky here with "vi"... but I think it got through mostly)

The sysadmin here says that from the other end, everything goes hunky-dory
until after a minute or so I drop connection.  He is not sure exactly what
these error messages on my end mean, and I haven't a clue at all, but the
upshot is that I cannot get anything sent in either direction with 1.05,
1.06 or a hybrid of the two!

The setup ran fine for weeks, until the HD crash, and for a short time
thereafter (and I'm sure I caught all the files affected by the HD crash
and everything else was restored without problems).  I've even re-downloaded
the archives and re-installed from scratch, as I said, and no luck.

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (07/19/90)

>logfile.  I made NO changes to the configs between my last successful session
>and the first bad one, and I've tried a lot of different things including
>re-installing BOTH 1.05 and 1.06 from scratch.  For a while I was getting
>nothing at all in the logfile but now I get the following error message every
>time I try:
>  (7/2-16:25:35) uucico,AmigaUUCP,- Startup V1.05D
>  (7/2-16:26:00) uucico,nyx,- DIALED nyx
>  (7/2-16:26:15) uucico,nyx,- SUCCEEDED call to nyx
>  (7/2-16:26:20) uucico,nyx,- OK Startup
>  (7/2-16:26:20) uucico,nyx,bscott REQUEST S D.nyxB3175 D.nyxB3175 bscott -
>	  D.nyxB3175 0666 bscott
>  (7/2-16:29:14) uucico,nyx,bscott REQUEST S D.nyxX3172 X.nyxX3173 bscott -
>	D.nyxX3172 0666 bscott
>  (7/2-16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Error in work file UUSPOOL:C.nyxA3174
>  (7/2--16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Bad line is:  S D.nyxX3172 X.nyxX3173
>	 bscott - D.nyxX3172 0666

    If you are using a TrailBlazer you must turn spoofing OFF !!!!

    Hopefully that is your problem.  The other person that reported this to
    me was using spoofing mode on his trailblazer and turning it off fixed
    the problem.

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

mstgil@supernet.UUCP (Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil) (07/22/90)

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

>In article <4761.tnews@templar.actrix.co.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz (John Bickers) writes:
   [ text deleted ]
>The current problem is that I can make a successful connection to my host and
>SOMETHING seems to get transfered (judging by the modem lights) but then after
>a minute or so it hangs up and I get a mysterious error message in my SPOOL:
>logfile.  I made NO changes to the configs between my last successful session
>and the first bad one, and I've tried a lot of different things including
>re-installing BOTH 1.05 and 1.06 from scratch.  For a while I was getting
>nothing at all in the logfile but now I get the following error message every
>time I try:
   [ text deleted ]
>  (7/2-16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Error in work file UUSPOOL:C.nyxA3174
>  (7/2--16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Bad line is:  S D.nyxX3172 X.nyxX3173
> 	 bscott - D.nyxX3172 0666
   [ text deleted ]

   [ text deleted ]
>The sysadmin here says that from the other end, everything goes hunky-dory
>until after a minute or so I drop connection.  He is not sure exactly what
>these error messages on my end mean, and I haven't a clue at all, but the
>upshot is that I cannot get anything sent in either direction with 1.05,
>1.06 or a hybrid of the two!

>The setup ran fine for weeks, until the HD crash, and for a short time
>thereafter (and I'm sure I caught all the files affected by the HD crash
>and everything else was restored without problems).  I've even re-downloaded
>the archives and re-installed from scratch, as I said, and no luck.

>.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>
>
>--
>.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
>|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
>|Amiga UUCP node domain: bscott@vila.denver.co.us Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
>|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
>|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |
>`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

I am having the same problem w/ similar error message in log.  I have never
had a working set-up.  I am using 1.06D w/patch.  Hey, Matt!  What's up?

Marc St.-Gil
--
Marc St.-Gil: Harris Adacom Corporation  Dallas, TX, USA   // Only the Amiga
Internet:     supernet!mstgil%iex.uucp@dept.csci.unt.edu  //  makes so much

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (07/25/90)

>>  (7/2-16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Error in work file UUSPOOL:C.nyxA3174
>>  (7/2--16:29:36) uucico,nyx,bscott Bad line is:  S D.nyxX3172 X.nyxX3173
>>	 bscott - D.nyxX3172 0666

    The two times this has popped up the person in question was running
    A telebit TrailBlazer modem with Spoofing enabled.	Try disabling
    spoofing.

    If that isn't the problem please email me and we can trace down the bug!

					    -Matt