[comp.sys.amiga.tech] NEED MORE HELP!!

wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) (07/26/90)

I recently posted an article requesting help on formatting my 40 Meg
Quantum Prodrive w/ a CLtd host adaptor.  I had two responses, suggesting
that I use the GenFormat program.  Thanks for your responses.  I tried it,
and it says

Formatting SCSI Address 0, Interleave 1 ...

After that, I hear the head move for a second, and then it says
Format Status OK and quits.  Any more ideas?  Something I need to fix in
my devsetup file?  It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or
not I run devinstall.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

				Jeff Wille (wille@frith.egr.msu.edu)
					   (wille@happy.egr.msu.edu)

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything.   -- Gregg Easterbrook

In <1990Jul25.190456.10787@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) writes:
>I recently posted an article requesting help on formatting my 40 Meg
>Quantum Prodrive w/ a CLtd host adaptor.  I had two responses, suggesting
>that I use the GenFormat program.  Thanks for your responses.  I tried it,
>and it says
>
>Formatting SCSI Address 0, Interleave 1 ...
>
>After that, I hear the head move for a second, and then it says
>Format Status OK and quits.  Any more ideas?  Something I need to fix in
>my devsetup file?  It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or
>not I run devinstall.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

TRhe Quantums will accept the format command (low level format), and will
report back that it was successful, whether or not a format was actually done.
The drive is smart enough to know whether it needs to format or not. You only
need to prep the drive (if required), and format it with the Amigados format
command, and you are away to the races.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.