[comp.sys.amiga.tech] impedance values for Diamondscan

henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mark D. Henning) (07/23/90)

Could someone mail me the resistor fix for my video cable.

I am experienceing the problem that I cannot boot my 2000 when my new
mitsubishi diamondscan is connected.  I can boot it and then plug the
video cable in, and it wirks just fine.

I made my own cable which works erll, except as noted above.

				-thanks in advance,
					-henning

henning@stolaf.edu
henning@stolaf.UUCP
All opinions are my own, as are the spellings
any deviation from the norm is just an effect
of my deviance.

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (07/23/90)

I too made my own cable when I first got my Diamond Scan while I awaited the
"official" one from Redmond.  I had the same problem.  When the cable arrived
I had another problem, evidently the 23 pin connector had an inductance or
capacitance problem which caused the green line to be delayed  by about a high
res pixel.  The result was that an increase in intensity from a pixel to the
next resulted in a pink/purple looking effect and a decreasing intensity saw a
green tint effect.  After some destructive testing of the cable, I determined
the 23-pin connector to be at fault and built another cable using a hack-sawed
25 pin as the Amiga end.  What I ended up hooking up (different from the
interim cable with the boot up problem) was the R,G and B lines (obviously),
the composite sync (made of both horz and vert syncs) and one ground from the
sync ground.  Here is what I use (and it works completely):

Amiga                 Diamond Scan
-----                 ------------
  3                        2
  4                        4
  5                       14
 10                       16
 16                        1,2,4,15

Believe it or not this works flawlessly and there is no need for separate horz
and vert syncs (and indeed this causes problems) or the inverter included with
the Redmond cable (the montor is versitile enough to allow positive or negative
syncs).  I hope this helps, and any other queries are welcome.

 _______              __________
  _/____) '  __  /_/       /  '  /  / __  _      "N.I.N.J.A.J.I.S."-Me
  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
  ___________________________________________/   Founder:  IDGAFF Ltd.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.

terry@comcon.UUCP (Terry LaGrone) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul23.073000.9071@uokmax.uucp>, drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>   What I ended up hooking up (different from the
> interim cable with the boot up problem) was the R,G and B lines (obviously),
> the composite sync (made of both horz and vert syncs) and one ground from the
> sync ground.  Here is what I use (and it works completely):
>
> Amiga                 Diamond Scan
> -----                 ------------
>   3                        2
>   4                        4
>   5                       14
>  10                       16
>  16                        1,2,4,15
>
> Believe it or not this works flawlessly and there is no need for separate horz
> and vert syncs (and indeed this causes problems) or the inverter included with
> the Redmond cable (the montor is versitile enough to allow positive or negative
> -D.Adams;  Well, almost.

I have had the DiamondScan for about 20 months and have been using it for
Alpha and Beta testing new Amiga OS.  There are still some special problems
in using productivity mode with the DiamondScan; however, using the CSYNC
line will not allow any productivity mode use at all ( the 31.5 kHz scan
rate ).

On the other hand, the A2300 genlock does not pass HSYNC and VSYNC, so the
above described cable is the only one that would work.  For my own use, I
buy the 23 pin cable without a termination.  That way I can wire them to
the connector I need. ( I also use some Sony monitors ).  I have several
cables made up depending on use ( including the exotic genlock inside the
monitor modes inside the DiamondScan and the Sony monitors ).

Terry LaGrone      /*** mixing Audio, Video and ideas ***/
Flight Training Devices - Alaska