[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DMCS, MIDI, and the 1.3.2 serial.device = GURU

baeder@cadence.com (D. Scott Baeder; x299) (07/30/90)

I finally tracked down my crashing of DMCS. (I recently upgraded my
A1000 to a 2500/30) It only happens if I activated the MIDI.  At
first, I thought it might be the '030, but it was also happening on my
A1000...Finally I tried BOOTING off the original disk...this is what
finally led me to look at the serial.device

What is the difference between 1.3 and 1.3.2's serial.device??? (if
exact version numbers/sizes are required to answer this, I can supply
them...I left all my detailed notes at home) I noticed that DMCS works
fine with 1.2, and 1.3 versions of the file, but when I try to use the
1.3.2 version I get a nasty guru (illeagle instruction...again,
specifics I left at home...like an idiot)

In any case, I have dropped back to the 1.3 version, BUT, inquiring
mids what to know...also, is this a problem in the 2.0 software??  You
don't actually need to use MIDI, just activate it on the instruments
menu...

thanks..

scott

bryce@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bryce Nesbitt) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul30.152503.27962@cadence.com> baeder@cadence.com writes:
>I finally tracked down my crashing of DMCS....
>What is the difference between 1.3 and 1.3.2's serial.device???

DMCS closes the serial.device, then uses it again (!).   Under V1.3
serial.device, this would often work with no visible side effect.  V1.3.2
is less tolerant.  The V2.0 serial.device is identical to V1.3.2

--
|\_/|  . "ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!"  "Lawyers: America's untapped export market."
{X o} .     Bryce Nesbitt, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.