[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ROMable code generation

finkel@TAURUS.BITNET (07/24/90)

I'm working on a project which requires ROMable code generation. I use
A68k, and I would like to know if there is a tool that will relocate an
amiga load file into an apsolute address, and strip all the headers
from the file, providing me with a binary file suitable for burning into
an EPROM. it would be nice if it had an option to split the files into
odd/even bytes, but that's really only a small extra bonus.

I really don't feel like writing such a program if such a program already
exists.

please send mail only - I will summarize. (usenet is down here for more
than a week).

udi

Udi Finkelstein       | Bitnet:   finkel@taurus.bitnet or finkel@math.tau.ac.il
Tel Aviv University   | Internet: finkel%taurus.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Israel                | UUCP:     ...!psuvax1!taurus.bitnet!finkel

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (07/27/90)

In article <9007231914.AA15506@virgo> <finkel%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>I'm working on a project which requires ROMable code generation. I use
>A68k, and I would like to know if there is a tool that will relocate an
>amiga load file into an apsolute address, and strip all the headers
>from the file, providing me with a binary file suitable for burning into
>an EPROM. it would be nice if it had an option to split the files into
>odd/even bytes, but that's really only a small extra bonus.

There is a program on the Software Toolkit available frlom CATS that will
translate Amiga binary modules into Motorola-S format. But to my knowledge,
A68K can produce S files directly anyway.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

mwandel@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Markus Wandel) (07/28/90)

In article <13461@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <9007231914.AA15506@virgo> <finkel%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>>
>>I'm working on a project which requires ROMable code generation. I use
>>A68k, and I would like to know if there is a tool that will relocate an
>>amiga load file into an apsolute address, and strip all the headers
>>from the file, providing me with a binary file suitable for burning into
>>an EPROM. it would be nice if it had an option to split the files into
>>odd/even bytes, but that's really only a small extra bonus.
>
>There is a program on the Software Toolkit available frlom CATS that will
>translate Amiga binary modules into Motorola-S format. But to my knowledge,
>A68K can produce S files directly anyway.

Unfortunately, the Commodore object module converter ("AbsLoad" if I recall
correctly) only allows you to specify one starting address, and then it
links all code, data, and BSS (!) hunks together at that address.  So much
for ROMable code, unless you want to define all your variables as constant
addresses (in assembly).  That was a really old version of the program
though, maybe this has been fixed since.

Just get "UnHunk".  It's on a low-numbered (<40) Fred Fish disk, allows separate
base addresses for code, data, and BSS segments, and comes with source code
so you can fix it if it still doesn't suit you.  I've used this for ROM
code generation for a 68008 based target, and for kickstart patches, and it
works *great*.  Free, too.

Markus Wandel

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (07/31/90)

In article <9007231914.AA15506@virgo> <finkel%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>I'm working on a project which requires ROMable code generation. I use
>A68k, and I would like to know if there is a tool that will relocate an
>amiga load file into an apsolute address, and strip all the headers
>from the file, providing me with a binary file suitable for burning into
>an EPROM. it would be nice if it had an option to split the files into
>odd/even bytes, but that's really only a small extra bonus.

Look at "unhunk" on Fish Disk 26.  It takes Amiga load files, processes
the hunks and collects them into code, initialized data, and uninitialized
data segments.  Ordinarily you will specify the starting Code address as
your ROM address, and let the initialized data get tucked in just after
the code; specify your RAM address for uninitialized data (usual caveats
apply for initialized data [constants] to be just that -- constants --
and to be copied into RAM if you expect change them).

A separate program (provided with unhunk) takes the output file, which
looks a lot like a UNIX a.out file, and outputs Motorola S-records.
If you need some other format, like Intel ':'-records, you can use
it as a model.  Doesn't split into even/odd ROMs, but many PROM programmers
do that for you, or you can make the S-record translator do that pretty
easily, I would think.

Good luck!  Cross-developing embedded code on the Amiga is pretty nice,
isn't it?

-Eric
(disclaimer: I am the author of unhunk; glad it's of use!)

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089

jlavin@cie.uoregon.edu (Jeff Lavin) (07/31/90)

In article <9007231914.AA15506@virgo> <finkel%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>I'm working on a project which requires ROMable code generation. I use
>A68k, and I would like to know if there is a tool that will relocate an
>amiga load file into an apsolute address, and strip all the headers
>from the file, providing me with a binary file suitable for burning into
>an EPROM. it would be nice if it had an option to split the files into
>odd/even bytes, but that's really only a small extra bonus.

Macro68, a new assembler scheduled for release September 4th, has a special
directive just for producing ROMable code:  ASEG.  No more hunk strippers ;^)

Look for the ad in the September issue of Amazing.

--
The Puzzle Factory, Inc.  | Jeff Lavin -- jlavin@cie.uoregon.edu