[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Mac sounds to Amiga IFF sounds... KILLER!

arc@desire.wright.edu (07/31/90)

  I know this is probably not a big deal to many, but I'd like to get a sound
converter for Amiga that converts Mac sounds to IFF.  There's so many Mac
sounds out there that are hard to find on TV, etc., so it would be nice to hear
them on my awsome Amiga.  Does anyone have something that will do that?
Playing the Mac sounds would be acceptable, but converting them is even better.
I'm sure it would be kind easy to do...  Pictures are much harder (when you're
converting 8-bit to 6-bit graphics), but the Mac is 8-bit sound, just like
ours...  So, some help, please?

=    ///           | Jim Perry                 | Arc@Desire.Wright.edu =
=   /// Amiga!     | ^Communications Consultant|         -or-          =
= \XX/ The One     | Arc Electronics, Inc.     |    Arc@WSU.BITNET     =
= ____& Only...    | Wright State University   |"Ouch! Quit-it." - Bart=
=                  | Dayton, Ohio              |  Frank Sinatra Rules  =

zahra@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Andrew Zahra Telecom) (08/01/90)

In article <949.26b549a8@desire.wright.edu>, arc@desire.wright.edu writes:

>   I know this is probably not a big deal to many, but I'd like to get a sound
> converter for Amiga that converts Mac sounds to IFF.  There's so many Mac

	I have done this successfully with a short C prg - all you have to do
is read in the mac file a byte at a time and flip the high (leftmost) bit.
so in C you need to xor the byte with 128.voila - file is in amiga dump form -
now just read it into a music prg and save it as iff if you want in in iff form.

	Andrew

dansu@volcano.berkeley.edu (Dan Su) (08/02/90)

In article <6403@wolfen.cc.uow.oz> zahra@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Andrew Zahra Telecom) writes:
>In article <949.26b549a8@desire.wright.edu>, arc@desire.wright.edu writes:
>>
>>   I know this is probably not a big deal to many, but I'd like to get a sound
>> converter for Amiga that converts Mac sounds to IFF.  There's so many Mac
>
>	I have done this successfully with a short C prg - all you have to do
>is read in the mac file a byte at a time and flip the high (leftmost) bit.
>so in C you need to xor the byte with 128.voila - file is in amiga dump form -
>now just read it into a music prg and save it as iff if you want in in iff form.
>
>	Andrew

Yes, this is essentially a one line program.  Here it is in C:

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  int c;

  while ((c = getchar()) != EOF)
    putchar(c - 128);
}

USAGE:  convert < sound.mac > sound.amiga
        convert < sound.amiga > sound.mac

Piece of cake!  Just remember, the header is destroyed in the conversion
process so you'll have to fix it up a bit.  For an Amiga, you can load the
file into a music program and save it as an IFF file (as the gentleman above
suggested).  Or you can use a sound player program like "sound" that will
play any file and figure out the correct playback rate (a messy solution but
it works :-)
If you're converting from Amiga to Mac, you'll have to use a program
(on a Mac) such as ResEdit or a DA such as DiskTop or DeskZap to
change the file type to FSSD and the creator to FSSC so a Mac will recognize
the file as a sound file.

-Dan Su
dansu@volcano.berkeley.edu