[comp.sys.amiga.tech] various amiga questions

crazyrat@disk.UUCP (@jap) (08/03/90)

In article <1989@trlluna.trl.oz>, soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
> In article <5009@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> Jan.Lucenius@tel.vtt.fi (Jan Lucenius) writes:
> >
> >Because lack of time and bad manuals I have to ask these questions:
>
> >9) When you have only one disk drive the copying of even small files require
> >   a lot of disk changes, is there any other way to overcome this problem
> >   than to copy first to the RAM disk and then to the destination disk.
>
> b. Make `copy' resident in memory so that you can remove the system
> disk (use the RESIDENT command).

If you try this method, it is advised for you to make SURE that the pure
bit is set on the copy command.  Making anything resident is usually a hassle
especially with 1.2 or lower.

On a similar note, I'm having a few problems with the resident command and
AmigaDos (Arp) 1.2.  The problem I am having is that in my startup-sequence
I try to make a cli resident (I think this is necessary for C-Shell...Matt
Dillon thank you for a beauty!), and it becomes resident perfectly.  The
problems begin when I try to execute simple ados commands from the newcli
that is spawned after opening this initial resident one.   When I run simple
dos commands such as 'newcli' or 'newshell' or 'endcli' I get an Error 103
message (Not enuff memory).  I know this is impossible, since I have tested
this under all kinds of situations.  (I use Avail soon after and it says I
have over 300K chip and 2000K fast...ram expansions are nice)

So what could be happening?

Joel

P.S.  Some other pertinent information.  Amiga 500, with A501.  4 disk
drives (3 3.5', 1 5'1/4), 2 meg autoconfig expansion (Byte Box).  Cshell
version 4.01A.  I use the 5.25' drive as a global C directory, since all
of the c commands that I usually use won't fit on my boot disk.  All I
do is mount it as a 5.25 (df3:) and then assign C: df3:.

Thanks for the help.  Conserve bandwidth...use E-mail!  I'll post summary.

--
Joel C. Justen      Crazyrat Productions Ltd.
disc:  who cares?   CRAZYRAT@DISK.UUCP