[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Noclick on the A3000

bga@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Bruce Albrecht) (07/26/90)

Could someone post the way to turn off clicking for the internal drive on the
A3000?  Thanks.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!bga
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!bga@nosc.mil
INET: bga@pnet51.orb.mn.org

coco@cbnewsl.att.com (felix.a.lugo) (07/26/90)

In article <2924@orbit.cts.com> bga@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Bruce Albrecht) writes:
>Could someone post the way to turn off clicking for the internal drive on the
>A3000?  Thanks.

	Yeah, stick a floppy into the drive!!! 8^)
	It doesn't cost anything, and it doesn't require memory or cpu
	time from your Amiga.

---------------------------

	Felix A. Lugo
	coco@ihlpy.att.com

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.144452.8771@cbnewsl.att.com> coco@cbnewsl.att.com (felix.a.lugo) writes:
>In article <2924@orbit.cts.com> bga@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Bruce Albrecht) writes:
>>Could someone post the way to turn off clicking for the internal drive on the
>>A3000?  Thanks.
>	Yeah, stick a floppy into the drive!!! 8^)
>	It doesn't cost anything, and it doesn't require memory or cpu
>	time from your Amiga.

Yeah, but when you reboot the machine will it try to boot off the floppy?
Or is there a way on the 3000 to force boot from hard disk, while somehow
leaving the option open for booting off floppy when absolutely necessary?

                                   - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

desmarai@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Stephane Desmarais) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul27.050454.11169@cbnewsm.att.com> nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>In article <1990Jul26.144452.8771@cbnewsl.att.com> coco@cbnewsl.att.com (felix.a.lugo) writes:
>>>Could someone post the way to turn off clicking for the internal drive on the
>>>A3000?  Thanks.
>>	Yeah, stick a floppy into the drive!!! 8^)
>>	It doesn't cost anything, and it doesn't require memory or cpu
>>	time from your Amiga.
>
>Yeah, but when you reboot the machine will it try to boot off the floppy?

Just put a non-bootable floppy in (or even an unformatted floppy!)k
As for the comment about not requiring memory, I "think" it is false, it
does require some memory.  Just look at the free memory count at the top
of the screen when you insert a disk. I'm not sure, but I think it goes down
a tiny winny bit.  Nothing to be concerned of though.  As for the initial
question, wasn't there supposed to be a preference setting for that in
AmigaOS 2.0 ?
--
Stephane M. Desmarais       desmarais@iro.umontreal.ca  (le Domaine Canadien)
Departement d'informatique  uunet!mcgill-vision!iros1!desmarais

dailey@kira.uucp (Chris Dailey) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul31.155439.21621@IRO.UMontreal.CA> desmarai@sylvere.UUCP (Stephane Desmarais) writes:
>>>	Yeah, stick a floppy into the drive!!! 8^)
>>Yeah, but when you reboot the machine will it try to boot off the floppy?
>Just put a non-bootable floppy in (or even an unformatted floppy!)k
>As for the comment about not requiring memory, I "think" it is false, it
>does require some memory.  Just look at the free memory count at the top
>of the screen when you insert a disk. I'm not sure, but I think it goes down
>a tiny winny bit.  Nothing to be concerned of though.  As for the initial
>question, wasn't there supposed to be a preference setting for that in
>AmigaOS 2.0 ?

Couldn't you just reset the BootPri for the hard drive to a higher
value?  Then it would work no matter what on a WARM reboot, right?
Any gurus out there care to verify that?

>Stephane M. Desmarais       desmarais@iro.umontreal.ca  (le Domaine Canadien)
--
  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)
 C oo  dailey@(cpsin1.cps|frith.egr).msu.edu         (make WP5.1 for the Amiga)

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (08/05/90)

In article <1990Aug1.051429.1978@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> dailey@kira.uucp (Chris Dailey) writes:

>Couldn't you just reset the BootPri for the hard drive to a higher
>value?  Then it would work no matter what on a WARM reboot, right?
>Any gurus out there care to verify that?
>
>  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)

Could lead to trouble.  If you somehow trashed your drive so that it
would boot but then hang, you'd have no recourse but to physically
remove the drive in order to get your system back up again.  I've had
that happen with RAD: when I set its BootPri greater than than of df0:
-- but at least in that case turning off the machine gets rid of the
problem.  Still, the odds of that happening to your hard drive are
probably small (at least I hope so :-).

Maurice LeBrun                Institute for Fusion Studies
mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu      University of Texas at Austin