[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ls bugs

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) (07/23/90)

[Munch all you want, I'll type more]

In article <adTy02UEb9Vf01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> I've had a report from Christopher Wichura on a strange problem that has
> shown up when using the new version of "ls" that was recently posted (v4.0k)
> under 2.0 on a 3000 (Kickstart 36.141 and Workbench 36.68).  I'm at a loss
> to figure out what the problem is, so ...

I also have been experiencing intermittent crashes when running both version
4.0k and version 3.1 of ls.

To repeat the problem I:

Boot machine, ending with open shell.  Control-D at beginning of
startup-sequence does not change things.

type ls.

BOOM.  I get a disk corrupt requester.  God this scared me when it first
happened.  A reboot returns everything to normal.

My system:
Amiga 2000 rev 4.4 (I believe)
1.3 roms, 1.3 wb
1 meg  ram (512K chip, 512K fast)
HardFrame HD interface rev1.5
Quantum 105S drive with 105P controller

My prompt just reads 2.> when I do this.  A CD will return 105Meg:
if I CD to DH0: , the problem goes away.  (In fact, it I CD to anything, I can
use ls just fine.)
--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

alanh@hpsmeng1.HP.COM (Alan Haight) (07/25/90)

  I too haave experienced the same problem using an A2000 KS/WB 1.3.2, 4Mb
fastram, GVP030-33MHz 4Mb 32 bit ram, CLtd Controller, etc.
  I use QuickMouse to pop a new cli.  If I then type ls it will give a
software error (crash).  If you do a cd first and then a ls it will do the
same thing, but if you do a cd <anywhere> and then do a ls it will work fine.
The way I do a work around for now is to put a   cd DH0: at the end of my
s:shell-startup file.
  I'm not sure which version of ls I'm running right now (I'm at work) but
I believe it is the lastest.  Also I think the same problem existed in the
previous version, but I'm not 100% sure on that right now.

  -Alan Haight-
   alan@hpsmo100.HP.COM

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (07/30/90)

In article <6633.26aa3109@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) writes:

> I also have been experiencing intermittent crashes when running both version
> 4.0k and version 3.1 of ls.
>

> BOOM.  I get a disk corrupt requester.  God this scared me when it first
> happened.  A reboot returns everything to normal.
>

> HardFrame HD interface rev1.5
>
> My prompt just reads 2.> when I do this.  A CD will return 105Meg:
> if I CD to DH0: , the problem goes away.  (In fact, it I CD to anything, I can
> use ls just fine.)

Your's is the 3rd or 4th similar report I've had where the item in common is
the HardFrame controller.  I'm at a loss for an explanation to this problem,
as I have no problems at all with my 2090A/Quantum setup.

Anyone know anything "funny" the HardFrame driver/etc. might be doing that
could interact with vanilla calls to Examine()/ExNext()/Info()/etc?

I thought I had a lead to a problem with ls's mallooc'ing code, but that
turned out to be bogus.  I'm still hunting for any clues to this and/or the
problems people are having with it under 2.0 ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/01/90)

>In article <c5jz023A010m01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <6633.26aa3109@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) writes:
>> I also have been experiencing intermittent crashes when running both version
>> 4.0k and version 3.1 of ls.

   I've only used V3.1 yet. I get more ordinary, random guru's.

>Your's is the 3rd or 4th similar report I've had where the item in common is
>the HardFrame controller.  I'm at a loss for an explanation to this problem,
>as I have no problems at all with my 2090A/Quantum setup.

   It dies on my A3000 as well, which uses a 2091A controller (of course),
and I've tried both Q40 and Q105 drives. My 2.0 is a Beta5, Beta6 RSN.

   So I wouldn't look at the Hardframe for trouble.

                                             -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (08/05/90)

In article <hclausen.2109@adspdk.CBMNET> hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) writes:

[problems with ls 3.1 and ls 4.0 under AmigaDos 2.0 discussed]

>   I've only used V3.1 yet. I get more ordinary, random guru's.
>
>   It dies on my A3000 as well, which uses a 2091A controller (of course),
>and I've tried both Q40 and Q105 drives. My 2.0 is a Beta5, Beta6 RSN.

To add to the confusion..

On my Amiga 3000 (Q105 drive), I believe I could get a system crash
using ls 3.1 by doing a "ls -l env:" immediately after bootup (under
2.0).  I switched to ls 4.0 and have had no problems since.

BTW, what version of the OS is the most recent?

Maurice LeBrun                Institute for Fusion Studies
mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu      University of Texas at Austin