[comp.sys.amiga.tech] CrossDOS problems

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/26/90)

>In article <1990Jul27.112326.8800@canterbury.ac.nz> elec140@canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>I have recently got hold of the tryware version of CrossDOS from the Fred Fish
>catalogue.  At the time I got it I still had the Kickstart 1.2 ROM in my
>machine and CrossDOS worked perfectly.  (I couldn't write to the MSDos disk of
>course, but then I new this).  About a day later I updated my machine to the
>1.3 ROM and then I found the software would no longer run.  The patches for the
>Trackdisk.device (TDPatch12 and TDPatch13) work under 1.2, but the one which is
>intended for use on 1.3 gives me the error `patch not applied' or something
>similar.  Changing the ROM back to 1.2 once again allowed me to use the
>software so it had nothing to do with anything else I may have had installed on
>my system.
>
>I was considering buying this product since I do a lot of PC to Amiga file
>transfer (normally by Kermit at 9600 baud - this can take an hour for some
>things I transfer) and CrossDOS seems like the answer to all my problems.
>Has anyone else had any problems like this?  Can I be sure that if I buy the
>product that it will work?  Any other suggestions/remedies? (I can't afford to
>use the technical support phone number at a cost of $3 / minute from New
>Zealand.
>
>My system is an Amiga 500 with the single internal floppy and a 30MB harddisk
>(home made - uses my own harddisk.device and requires floppy boot disk).
>
>BTW, I also haven't had any success with PCPatch under 1.3 or 1.2.
>
>Please EMAIL replies to tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
>
>What's a disclaimer anyway?

There is a bug in the PD version od TDPatch13. Try calling Consultron
to see about getting a new one.

You can get Cross-Dos for $23.00 at my local Amiga store, so you
might consider just up and buying it. I have used it for over a year
and have had no problems.

They have recentlt upgraded the product to version 4.0a. It is about
twice as fast as the older 3.xx versions.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  In Texas: {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group | The World: dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (amdahl!dwl10)
      Houston, TX        |

elec140@canterbury.ac.nz (07/27/90)

janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) (07/30/90)

In article <david.5490@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>You can get Cross-Dos for $23.00 at my local Amiga store, so you
>might consider just up and buying it. I have used it for over a year
>and have had no problems.
>
>They have recentlt upgraded the product to version 4.0a. It is about
>twice as fast as the older 3.xx versions.

Recently? After the release of MSH:, maybe, which is freely
distributable, includes source, and was twice as fast from the
beginning? If I may take a guess at what exactly they did: they
read the 1.3 hardware reference manual. Too bad that cannot be
construed as a copyright infringement on the MSH: code. :-) But I guess
they owe me some gratefulness for making them aware of what they
should read.

MSH: is available from your nearest comp.sources/binaries.amiga
archive. Donation optional; no cheques please unless you add $7 (nlg
12.50) which my bank donates to itself.

-Olaf Seibert.

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (08/04/90)

>In article <2066@wn1.sci.kun.nl> janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:
>In article <david.5490@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>You can get Cross-Dos for $23.00 at my local Amiga store, so you
>>might consider just up and buying it. I have used it for over a year
>>and have had no problems.
>>
>>They have recentlt upgraded the product to version 4.0a. It is about
>>twice as fast as the older 3.xx versions.
>
>Recently? After the release of MSH:, maybe, which is freely
>distributable, includes source, and was twice as fast from the
>beginning? If I may take a guess at what exactly they did: they
>read the 1.3 hardware reference manual. Too bad that cannot be
>construed as a copyright infringement on the MSH: code. :-) But I guess
>they owe me some gratefulness for making them aware of what they
>should read.
>
>-Olaf Seibert.

My, don't we sound bitter!!!

As I remember, the original Cross-Dos was avaliable before MSH.

Now.....who is copying who?????

msiskin@us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (08/06/90)

In article <david.5514@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>In article <2066@wn1.sci.kun.nl> janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:
>>In article <david.5490@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>>They have recentlt upgraded the product to version 4.0a. It is about
>>>twice as fast as the older 3.xx versions.
>>
>>Recently? After the release of MSH:, maybe, which is freely
>>distributable, includes source, and was twice as fast from the
>>beginning? If I may take a guess at what exactly they did: they
>>read the 1.3 hardware reference manual. Too bad that cannot be
>>construed as a copyright infringement on the MSH: code. :-) But I guess
>>they owe me some gratefulness for making them aware of what they
>>should read.
>>
>>-Olaf Seibert.
>
>My, don't we sound bitter!!!
>
>As I remember, the original Cross-Dos was avaliable before MSH.
>
>Now.....who is copying who?????

>These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)
>
>      Dave Lowrey        |  In Texas: {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
>Starbound Software Group | The World: dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (amdahl!dwl10)
>      Houston, TX        |

   I know that Len Poma the Author of CrossDoss was working on the 4.xx
update before MSH was released.  Len is a member of my user group and has
been keeping us up to date on what he is doing with the program.  So I can
confirm that CrossDos 4.xx wasn't based on MSH.

Msiskin@us.cc.umich.edu
Marc Siskin, Senior Media Designer Language Lab U of Michigan