[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Problems with close-printer-device on A3000

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/04/90)

In article <dillon.4830@overload.UUCP> dillon@overload.UUCP (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>    There are indeed problems running uucico on the A3000 (UUCP 1.06D).  I am
>    attempting to find the bug (several of you are helping me trace it,
>    thanks!).  One bug Darrin Hyrup has traced to
>    somewhere around the close-serial-device/open-serial-device calls
>    used to terminate the call at the end.

On what I believe is a related note: I called New Horizons to tell them I
have problems with ProWrite version 3.0 running on an A3000.  If I select
"cancel" while it is printing, the program hangs.  The mouse pointer stays
as a round clock, and ProWrite does not respond to menu events.  They say
that this problem only shows up with the OS being shipped with the current
batch of A3000's.  I have my printer on the serial port, others have it on
their parallel port, and both cases hang while trying to close the printer
after aborting the I/O.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (08/07/90)

In article <1164@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>On what I believe is a related note: I called New Horizons to tell them I
>have problems with ProWrite version 3.0 running on an A3000.  If I select
>"cancel" while it is printing, the program hangs.  The mouse pointer stays
>as a round clock, and ProWrite does not respond to menu events.  They say
>that this problem only shows up with the OS being shipped with the current
>batch of A3000's.  I have my printer on the serial port, others have it on
>their parallel port, and both cases hang while trying to close the printer
>after aborting the I/O.

I sometimes get the same thing on my 1000 under 1.3.2 and ProWrite 3.0.1.
Not often, though.  I suspect something they are doing just marginally works
and the 3000 is a little more sensitive to it (because of speed perhaps?).
They told me no one else had reported the problem.  They did send a very nice
letter and seemed genuinely willing to help.  They mentioned that 3.0.2
fixes the problems I'm having with 3.0.1.  I hope they've fixed the
printer problems too.  I'm using 2.5 until they get 3.x worked out.
I wonder what kind of test suite they used.
>--
>Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
>BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
>PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
>San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."

Todd M. Lewis, utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu, utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet
  To quote Eugene H. Spafford, "Crisis and Aftermath", Communications of
  the ACM, vol. 32, no. 6, (June 1989), p. 684:
  "It is curious that this many people [...] would assume to know the
   intent of the author based on the observed behavior of the program."