[comp.sys.amiga.tech] HELP! A2000 Realtime Clock problem

jblake@hprnd.HP.COM (John Blake) (08/07/90)

The other day I was booting my A2000, when I got this ugly little message:
"Battery Backed up Clock not found".  It was at the point in startup-sequence
where "setclock load" is executed.  After it finished booting I tried the
date/time manually using the "date" command, which worked fine.  Then I tried
"setclock save" and got the same "...Clock not found" error.

My system configuration is:

                A2000 w/1MB CHIP RAM and Fatter Agnus
                Dual internal 3.5 drives
                XT Bridgeboard w/5.25 drive
                Kronos 2000 SCSI Adapter with external drive

I removed the Bridgeboard and Kronos card to make sure neither was causing
the problem, and got the same error message from "setclock".

Anyone have any ideas on this?  I realize the obvious of changing the clock
chip, but I wanted to solicit other opinions before hacking on the machine.

Thanks for any and all help.

John B.

John Blake                         Email:  jblake@hprnd.hp.com

"The opinions expressed on this program are those of the participants and
guests, and do not necessarily reflect those of this station, its management,
or sponsors."

alan@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Haight) (08/08/90)

John,
  I had the same problem after having a bad GURU.
  The only way I was able to fix the problem was to short the battery for
  a second. I did this by jumpering across the vcc and ground pins of the
  real time clock with the power turned off of course.  Only needs a second.
  The other way would be to completely disassemble your computer and remove
  the battery which is soldered in.
  Somehow the real-time clock chip is being put in a strange state.  None of
  the software reset/load/save commands work when it is in this state.
  You will need to look at the schematics in your manual to find out which
  chip is the clock chip and which pins to short.  This shouldn't hurt any-
  thing because there is a resistor between the battery and the clock chip.
  I don't have my manual here at work so I can't tell you where things are.

  Good Luck,
   Alan
   ;-)

jblake@hprnd.HP.COM (John Blake) (08/08/90)

In <2560004@hprnd.HP.COM> jblake@hprnd.HP.COM (John Blake) writes:

> The other day I was booting my A2000, when I got this ugly little message:
> "Battery Backed up Clock not found".  It was at the point in startup-sequence
> where "setclock load" is executed.  After it finished booting I tried the
> date/time manually using the "date" command, which worked fine.  Then I tried
> "setclock save" and got the same "...Clock not found" error.
(stuff deleted)

The problem has been corrected.  Thanks for your help, Al.  Now if I can only
figure out why this problem happens every time I try to switch to color display
on my XT Bridgeboard...

John Blake                         Email:  jblake@hprnd.hp.com

"The opinions expressed on this program are those of the participants and
guests, and do not necessarily reflect those of this station, its management,
or sponsors."

Peter_Warren_Lee@cup.portal.com (08/09/90)

There is a program floating around someplace that will fix your clock when
it does that. It's called clockdoctor or something like that. I'd try that
before doing any hardware stuff.

  Peter_Warren_Lee@cup.portal.com

dailey@kira.uucp (Chris Dailey) (08/10/90)

In article <32584@cup.portal.com> Peter_Warren_Lee@cup.portal.com writes:
>There is a program floating around someplace that will fix your clock when
>it does that. It's called clockdoctor or something like that. I'd try that
>before doing any hardware stuff.
>
>  Peter_Warren_Lee@cup.portal.com

Someone a while back posted something that they said would fix the
problem.  I've never had the problem, and have never been able to test
out the program to see if it even runs, so use it at your own risk.  By
the way, after this was posted I don't recall anyone yelling about how
it messed up their machine, which I'm sure they would do on csat! :)

Good luck.

---------------------------------[ cut here ]-------------------------------
begin 644 resetclock
M   #\P         #          (    $          $   /I    !$'Y -P
G ' ?0EA1R/_\3G4   /R   #Z@        /R   #ZP    $   /R

end
---------------------------------[ cut here ]-------------------------------
--
  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)
 C oo  dailey@(cpsin1.cps|frith.egr).msu.edu         (make WP5.1 for the Amiga)

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/10/90)

In article <31000005@hprmokg.HP.COM>, alan@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Haight) writes:
> John,
>   I had the same problem after having a bad GURU.
>   The only way I was able to fix the problem was to short the battery for
>   a second. I did this by jumpering across the vcc and ground pins of the
>   real time clock with the power turned off of course.  Only needs a second.
>   The other way would be to completely disassemble your computer and remove
>   the battery which is soldered in.
>   Somehow the real-time clock chip is being put in a strange state.  None of
>   the software reset/load/save commands work when it is in this state.
>   You will need to look at the schematics in your manual to find out which
>   chip is the clock chip and which pins to short.  This shouldn't hurt any-
>   thing because there is a resistor between the battery and the clock chip.
>   I don't have my manual here at work so I can't tell you where things are.
>
>   Good Luck,
>    Alan
>    ;-)
_______NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _DONT_ DO THIS!!!!!

RESETTING THE BATTERY BACKED UP CLOCK NOT FOUND ERROR:

1) Make sure you have WB1.3.2
2) Open a cli
3) type:
          setclock reset
4) hit return
5) start preferences and reset clock

There. Isn't that nicer than shorting out your mother board?

Hope I got there in time :-)

Regards Alan