[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Why doesn't RETURN repeat?

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Pogo Joe) (08/07/90)

navas@sim.uucp (David C. Navas) writes:

>>>Why do all the keys repeat except for the RETURN?
>>
>>I don't know, but escape doesn't either.

>I believe key repeating is handled by the input handler and is user-customizable
>via keymaps.

>CSA.tech would possibly be a better place to get answers to this question.

If my memory serves me correctly, the reason it doesn't repeat is because
they had problems with early A1000s where the return key was sticking.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeff Axelrod                 | "If you chose not to decide, you still have made
ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu     |                              \XX/ AMIGAUSER

gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU (Walter G. Reynolds (JJ)) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug6.180013.2583@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Pogo Joe) writes:

>>I believe key repeating is handled by the input handler and is user-customizable
>>via keymaps.

From page 305 of the original Rom Kernal Manual: Libraries and devices:

REPEATABLE BIT TABLE
--------------------

For both the low and high keymaps there is an 8 byte table that provides
one bit per possible raw keycode.  This bit indicates whether or not the
specified key should repeat at the rate set by the preferences program.
The bit positions correspond to those specified in the capsable bit table.

If there is a 1 in a specific position, the key can repeat.  The vectors
that point to these tables are called km_LoRepeatable and km_HiRepeatable.

I hope that this answers your question!

(in English, the Keymap defines whether or not any key can repeat.  The
model of the computer doesn't matter)

Walter (JJ) Reynolds

--
This .signature is being released as ShareWare.  This means that if you
like it, you are morally obligated to send your .signature to me in

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (08/13/90)

)>>>Why do all the keys repeat except for the RETURN?
)>>I don't know, but escape doesn't either.

You can use control-M and control-[ for repeating versions of
return and  escape, respectively.

)>I believe key repeating is handled by the input handler and is user-customizable
)>via keymaps.

This is true, if you can find a usable keymap editor.

)If my memory serves me correctly, the reason it doesn't repeat is because
)they had problems with early A1000s where the return key was sticking.
)Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't sound familiar to me.  I think it's not uncommon to protect
against the "catstrophic" changes that can be made by accidentally
repeating the return key.

	jimm

--
"This voice console is a *must*.  I press Execute.