[comp.sys.amiga.tech] manx aztec c 5.0a bugs?

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (08/09/90)

since a couple of month I own manx c v5.0a. in the includefile functions.h
are the prototypes of most system functions included, but there are some
bugs (I think). the functions Examine() and ExNext are not correct.

the include file reads

long Examine (BPTR lock, BPTR FileInfoBlock);
and
long ExNext (BPTR lock, BPTR FileInfoBlock);

but this crashes the system with a disk corrupt requester, I think the
prototypes should be like this

long Examine (BPTR lock, struct FileInfoBlock *fib);
and
long ExNext (BPTR lock, struct FileInfoBlock *fib);

is this correct? I hope, I use it now in my program and it works! has
anybody had the same problem to? are there more such bugs in aztec 5.0a?
if someone has more fixes please send them to me.

cu josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood) (08/11/90)

>In article <josef.101403@augs.ccs.imp.com> josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) writes:
>...in the includefile functions.h...there are some
>bugs (I think). the functions Examine() and ExNext are not correct.
>
>the include file reads
>
>long Examine (BPTR lock, BPTR FileInfoBlock);
>and
>long ExNext (BPTR lock, BPTR FileInfoBlock);
>
>... I think the prototypes should be like this
>
>long Examine (BPTR lock, struct FileInfoBlock *fib);
>and
>long ExNext (BPTR lock, struct FileInfoBlock *fib);
>
>is this correct? ...are there more such bugs in aztec 5.0a?

Yes, that's correct. And yes, there are other bugs in 5.0a includes.
Here's what they actually look like in Aztec 5.0b, functions.h:

long Examine(BPTR lock, struct FileInfoBlock *fileInfoBlock);
	and
long ExNext(BPTR lock, struct FileInfoBlock *fileInfoBlock);

Try to upgrade to Aztec 5.0c.  I understand it's the same as
5.0b...they just changed the installation program in 5.0c, as I
understand it.

I rebuilt MG3a with 5.0c includes and had NONE of the warnings which
the (MG) documentation indicated were benign, but none-the-less a
result of bad prototypes in 5.0a.  However, I've had to fall back to
the 5.0a COMPILER to get MG3a to actually run.  Anybody else run into
this?

>cu josef
>
>--
><  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
><  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >
><  CH - 4852 Rothrist      |         CBMNET:  cbmswi!augs1!jegloff     >
><  Switzerland             |         AUGS:    as SYSOP (acc #1)        >

--           |                              |  uunet!digi!woodwrk!dick
Dick Wood    |    Become an ORGAN DONOR     :  dwood@digi.lonestar.org
--

lfk@oslo.key.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) (08/15/90)

In article <dick.3591@woodwrk.UUCP> dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood) writes:
>I rebuilt MG3a with 5.0c includes and had NONE of the warnings which
>the (MG) documentation indicated were benign, but none-the-less a
>result of bad prototypes in 5.0a.  However, I've had to fall back to
>the 5.0a COMPILER to get MG3a to actually run.  Anybody else run into
>this?

I have run into this as well.  It can be fixed by waiting for MANX to
fix their prototyping problems in 5.0b.  The bugs are due to the use
of both K&R style function declarations and prototypes.  This was a
new bug introduced in 5.0b.

I really thought it was going to work especially when all the warnings
went away with the new includes.  I have been trying to find out when
the bugs will be fixed so that I can send Mike some patches (I did most
of the work getting MG3a to compile with both MANX compilers) or just
some new instructions.  If it isn't going to be fixed within a month
or so I suppose I will track down all the bugs (YEEECCCCHHHHH!) and
distribute some patches.

--
Lynn Kerby, Amdahl Corporation:  lfk@key.amdahl.com  or  {...}amdahl!key!lfk