[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SAS/C 5.10 question, and general stupid C question

paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) (08/20/90)

Just got the SAS/C 5.10 upgrade, and it looks nice!

Q: Can someone point me to info on initializing the stack variable
in SAS/C 5.10?  The "what's new" section says you can now have
your process set its own min stack size if it inherits a smaller
stack from where it was launched, but I can't find any more
about this.  Anybody find it?

Now for the stupid C question:  I've been working on a small
program, and just moved to SAS/C 5.10 (from 5.05a).  The thing
works from the CLI, but dies with a "stack overflow" box when
launched from the WB (this happens almost immediately).
Right now there are two basic parts to the thing, and each will
run fine under WB (with a few extra lines to call the one) when
compiled with the same compile options... Now: What is the most
probable cause of the stack overflow death when launched under
WB??  I'd appreciate any help - email prefered, to avoid clutter
here.  Thanks in advance.

Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====
Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (08/20/90)

The stack size in the CLI is set by the STACK command.
The stack size from the WB is set in the icon (under 1.3).
These are probably not the same in your case.
		   -- Darren

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---

paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) (08/21/90)

In article <27937@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> The stack size in the CLI is set by the STACK command.
> The stack size from the WB is set in the icon (under 1.3).
> These are probably not the same in your case.
> 		   -- Darren
>
> --
> --- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---

yes, yes... but if I set the stack in the icon (for launch under WB)
the same, or bigger (say 4x or 8x the cli stack...) I get the
same results.  I don't think the stack as set in my cli or uin the
WB icon used to launch it is too small. (>10000)

It seems to be something in the program, or with the way it was
compiled.

The other thing was more or less unrelated -- how do you get
the SAS/C 5.10 to have your application set its own stack size?
They infer that it can be done, but I haven't found it
documented yet.