[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Difference between 1.2 and 1.3 Kickstart ROMs

mkiteam@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (E.Japel) (08/14/90)

I recently purchased a Trumpcard 500 with a 40meg Quantum drive for my
A500.  The docs read that the hard drive could only autoboot if my system
had the Kickstart 1.3 ROM installed.  Unfortunatly, I purchased my system
while they were still shipping with 1.2 ROMs (several years ago).  I have
not trouble bringing my system up using a floppy to boot initally from,
and it is reasonably fast (most set info is done on HD).  I believe the
1.3 ROM retails for around $45 (plus installation).  What do I gain by
purchasing this, besides autoboot capability.  I already have the 1.3
workbench.  Thanks.

Ed Japel

In article <1990Aug14.165920.29334@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mkiteam@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (E.Japel) writes:
> ....  What do I gain by
>purchasing this, besides autoboot capability.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Nearly nothing than this.
KS 1.2/1.3 and WB 1.2/1.3 can live together perfectly in every of the
four possible combinations. As what concerns only the KS ROM, you only
have the added autoboot capability. Enhancements by WB 1.3 are bigger,
you already know I think.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk