[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AmigaBasic Woes...

Scamper@cup.portal.com (Garen Lee Erdoisa) (08/08/90)

Does anybody out there in the world of the Amiga 2500 know the answers
or can point me toward the answers.  <Excuse me if this subject has already
been well thrashed on the net...>

1) The Amigabasic version 1.2 editor likes to crash the task it is running
   on when the Amiga is in the Z68020 mode.  <It works ok using the Z68000
   mode, but this limits the Amiga 2500 to just 1 meg of it's memory.  The
   basicdemos still run ok so far as I can determine, but when the
   basic editor is messed with, for the demos, or for writing another
   program, it works intermittantly.  Especially when a lot of background
   tasks are also running.>

     * Is there an easy fix to this?

     * Is there an upgraded version that fixes this bug?  egro: a version
       of Amigabasic that is compiled for Z68020 code?  If so I would
       like to know.  Also where to find it.  I have asked two dealers
       about this problem, but they eather do not know about the problem
       at all, or say tough luck.

     <I have demenstrated the bug on different machines.  It also shows
      up using any machine that is running the Z68020 or Z68030
      microprocessors.  Also I have heard rumors that Commodore is
      planning an upgrade of Amigabasic soon.  Does anyone know
      if this rumor is true, and if so where I might obtain a copy of
      the newer version.  Hopefully with the editor bugs removed.>

2) When using the Amiga 2500 in the Z68000 mode, is there any way to
   increase the amount of memory available to more than just 1 meg?
   (Such as a utility program that can be placed in the Startup-sequence>

   <For anyone with an Amiga 2500 or an Amiga 3000 that does not know
    how to place the Amiga into different processor modes, you just
    re-boot with the CTRL-Amiga-Amiga keys while holding down both the
    left and right mouse buttons.  A processor selection menu will show
    up, and you click in the box next to the processor mode you wish to
    use.  The only valid modes I have seen are Z68000, Z68020, and Z68030.
    There is also a menu item called Amiga-UX, but I have no idea what this
    is for.  Unix perhaps?  It crashes my system when I try it.>

Thanks in advance for any help on these subjects!

I will compile a synopsis of answers, if any, and post them for the net.
Please note that permission to quote from your emailed answers is implied
unless otherwise stated in your email to me on this subject.

To save bandwidth, Please email all replies to:

Possible Reply Paths:
Scamper@cup.portal.com
...!SUN!PORTAL!cup.portal.com!Scamper
72277.1260@Compuserve.COM

P.S. Please do not include any comparasons of Amigabasic vs <any other
     computer language>.  I am already fluent with several computer
     languages and am currently in the process of becoming fluent with
     Aztec C. <tm>  :)  .  Yes I know that ANY basic is relatively slow.
     I am digging into this problem mainly because I shouldn't have to.
     I figure that the AmigaBasic program should have worked when I
     or anybody forked over good money for the machine and the program.
     The fact that it doesn't work like it should, is reason enough.
     :)

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/10/90)

From article <32569@cup.portal.com>, by Scamper@cup.portal.com (Garen Lee Erdoisa):
> Does anybody out there in the world of the Amiga 2500 know the answers
> or can point me toward the answers.  <Excuse me if this subject has already
> been well thrashed on the net...>
>
> 1) The Amigabasic version 1.2 editor likes to crash the task it is running
>    on when the Amiga is in the Z68020 mode.  <It works ok using the Z68000

This is because MicroStuffed took liberties with the upper byte of the
four byte address word.  Suddenly on a 68020/030/040 the upper byte
_means_ address, and off to cloud cuckoo land you go.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

From article <32569@cup.portal.com>, by Scamper@cup.portal.com (Garen Lee Erdoisa):
> Does anybody out there in the world of the Amiga 2500 know the answers
> or can point me toward the answers.  <Excuse me if this subject has already
> been well thrashed on the net...>
>
> 1) The Amigabasic version 1.2 editor likes to crash the task it is running
>    on when the Amiga is in the Z68020 mode.  <It works ok using the Z68000

Look into c.s.a for my infos about AmigaBASIC on the A3000, does in this
case also apply for A2500 (INPUT and PRINT give no problems here).
On my machines, the editor itself never crashed, it was always a fault
happened before, eventually arising after reentering the editor. To
avoid this: a) Avoid ANY real SUBroutine (sad, I know), b) be very
prudent with ON TIMER or TRON/TROFF, I suspect them. Remember that you
must invoke AmigaBASIC from CLI/Shell when you use the dos Execute
command from LIBRARY "dos.library" (this applies not only to 020/030).

BTW why are you calling this wonderful Motorola processor Z68020???
I'm very glad it's not by Zilog and has nothing to do with a Z80.
(The most important thing: Real Processors must have a '6' in front,
avoid those with a '8'.)
So, M68000 would be more appropriate, most people just say 68000.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/23/90)

In article <32569@cup.portal.com> Scamper@cup.portal.com (Garen Lee Erdoisa) writes:
>1) The Amigabasic version 1.2 editor likes to crash the task it is running
>   on when the Amiga is in the Z68020 mode.  <It works ok using the Z68000

This is a known problem.  (By the way, it's not a "Z" chip.  "M68000" is the
name of a family of processors from Motorola.  This family includes
the individual chips MC68000, MC68010, MC68020, MC68030, and MC68040.)

-------------------------------
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: S/W Installation methodology
Date: 26 Dec 88 11:13:43 GMT

In article <2064@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <3147@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>	Amigabasic is a joke. Ever try running it on an '020? I hope Bill Gates is
>thoroughly ashamed to be associated with it.

Er - what is your problem running AmigaBasic with an 020? It runs here and at
Jerry's house with the one line patch Carolyn mentioned on bix... Go to offset
$0000F384 in the load file for AmigaBASIC. Original has $20327900. Change that
to $20327800 and run.

On another paw - though - AmigaBASIC is perhaps a bit <cough> improvable for
other reasons...

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms