[comp.sys.amiga.tech] CygnusEdPro macros

In <13837@cbmvax.commodore.com>, peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>In article <david.5634@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
>>macros.
>>
>>I want to bind "Save & Quit" to SHIFT-F3.
>>Any ideas on how I can do this????
>
>Not with a macro.  Since the macro recording is literal, it actually
>quits you without giving you a chance to save the macro.
>
>You may be able to do it with an ARexx script.  Make one called
>SaveQuit.ced that does nothing.  Then bind that to Shift-F3 with
>Amiga-m, then the menuitem "Send DOS/ARexx command" then type
>SaveQuit.ced into the requester, reply "yes" to the "store contents"
>query, then Amiga-m.  Then modify the SaveQuit.ced script to
>actually do a save & quit.

Might be easier just to have the script do the Save&Quit.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (08/16/90)

I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
macros.

I want to bind "Save & Quit" to SHIFT-F3.

When I attempt this, it never works. Here is what I do....
Type: AMIGA-m
It then prompts for the key to bind the macro to
Type: SHIFT-F3
It then prompts for the next definition
Type: SHIFT-AMIGA-Q
It then prompts for the next definition
Type AMIGA-m (to end the macro)
The editor exits, without saving the macro.

Any ideas on how I can do this????

Is there any way to list key bindings?

Also, I assume that ARexx scripts need to be in the REXX: directory.

Is there any way to type macros in a file, then have CygnusEd read them?
I guess I could write an ARexx script to do that.

Are there any collections of CygnusEd programs/macros? I have DevKit off
of the fish disks. Are there any others?

Cygnus ed seems like a real slick product, if I could just get the
hang of it.
These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovich

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (08/16/90)

In article <david.5634@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
>macros.
>
>I want to bind "Save & Quit" to SHIFT-F3.
>Any ideas on how I can do this????

Not with a macro.  Since the macro recording is literal, it actually
quits you without giving you a chance to save the macro.

You may be able to do it with an ARexx script.  Make one called
SaveQuit.ced that does nothing.  Then bind that to Shift-F3 with
Amiga-m, then the menuitem "Send DOS/ARexx command" then type
SaveQuit.ced into the requester, reply "yes" to the "store contents"
query, then Amiga-m.  Then modify the SaveQuit.ced script to
actually do a save & quit.

>Is there any way to list key bindings?

No.

>Also, I assume that ARexx scripts need to be in the REXX: directory.

I forget the exact search path, but I think it's listed in the
manual.  CygnusEd does look in REXX: as part of its search.  Use
the default .ced extension to easily tell which scripts are for CED.

>Is there any way to type macros in a file, then have CygnusEd read them?

No.  You'd have to use a script.

>Are there any collections of CygnusEd programs/macros? I have DevKit off
>of the fish disks. Are there any others?

The DevKit that's released doesn't work right with CED Release 2.
I'm working on an update.  (CED's ARexx return codes have changed,
among other things).

>      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (08/17/90)

In article <13837@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax (Peter Cherna) writes:
>In article <david.5634@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
>>macros.
>>
>>I want to bind "Save & Quit" to SHIFT-F3.
>>Any ideas on how I can do this????
>
>Not with a macro.  Since the macro recording is literal, it actually
>quits you without giving you a chance to save the macro.

^ Sure you can do it with a macro.  I played around with it a little, and found
out how:

1) Enter CED
2) Choose "Open New" from the menu--you will now have two buffers open
3) Enter your macro as before
4) Now, ced will open a file requester asking you to save; choose "forget it"
5) One of the buffers will close, but the program will not exit because
   there will still be one open.
6) End and save your macro.

Hope this helps.

--Vince

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (08/17/90)

In article <13837@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax (Peter Cherna) writes:
>In article <david.5634@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
>>macros.
>
>>Is there any way to list key bindings?
>
>No.
>
>>Is there any way to type macros in a file, then have CygnusEd read them?
>
>No.  You'd have to use a script.

Both of which are serious flaws (IMHO) in an otherwise excellent editor.

It seems one (relatively simple) way to overcome this would be to
allow the binding of macros from INSIDE an ARexx script.  In fact, I
half expected this feature to be included when I saw the massive
support for ARexx by CEDPro 2.0.  However, binding macros from ARexx
seems to be one of the only things left out (I tried, even though
there was no documentation on whether this was possible, but had no
success).  One could write ARexx functions that define a certain set
of keystrokes, and then call each function along with the key you
wanted it bound to from your control routine.  And ARexx seems to be
an excellent language for such purposes.

With ARexx standard in AmigaDos 2.0, is there any reason not to
include this kind of capability?

Maurice LeBrun                Institute for Fusion Studies
mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu      University of Texas at Austin

krsear02@ULKYVX.BITNET (NEWS_PERSONALNAME) (08/17/90)

>>I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
>>macros.
>>
>>I want to bind "Save & Quit" to SHIFT-F3.
>>Any ideas on how I can do this????
>
>Not with a macro.  Since the macro recording is literal, it actually
>quits you without giving you a chance to save the macro.

This CAN be done.  In fact I've done it.  I mapped the Amiga-Q sequence to
control-Z by doing the following:

  Set Hot-Start Enabled (this gets CED to keep things resident)
  Save Configuration    (just in case)
  Select Macro Definition
    follow your normal definition sequence...
    when CED exits, use the ALT-SHIFT-RETURN sequence to reenter CED
  Set Hot-Start Disabled (if you don't want this feature, that is)
  Save Configuration

Now your keys should be set.

At least that is how *I* did it.

Kendall

   Kendall "Opusii" Sears
   KRSEAR02@ULKYVX.bitnet
   ...!psuvax!ulkyvx.bitnet!KRSEAR02  (UUCP)
   K.SEARS                            (GEnie)
"Numbness is bliss... I can't feel a thing." -me.

In <260@mtiame.oz>, jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:

>I'm assuming here that CED has done well enough that there will actually
>be a next version. Does anyone out there have a gut feeling for the
>quantity that they have sold?

Bruce is working on the next version now.

-larry

--

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (08/20/90)

In article <david.5634@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I just bought CygnusEdPro, and am having a few problems defining
>macros.
>
>I want to bind "Save & Quit" to SHIFT-F3.
[...]
>Any ideas on how I can do this????
Have *two* buffers open before you define the macro.

>Is there any way to list key bindings?
No, but I'm working on it. The "cedmacro" file format is quite straight
forward, so expect a program any year now.

>Also, I assume that ARexx scripts need to be in the REXX: directory.
>
>Is there any way to type macros in a file, then have CygnusEd read them?
>I guess I could write an ARexx script to do that.
One strangeness I ran into was that 99% of interactions with CED are
through requestors which can be handled automatically from ARexx. The
*one* exception I found was the "press key you wish to bind" ARRRGH!
Support for human readable macro files is a *MAJOR* wishlist item,
I hope it will be "in there" for the next version.

I'm assuming here that CED has done well enough that there will actually
be a next version. Does anyone out there have a gut feeling for the
quantity that they have sold?

[...]

--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

[Diamanda Galas] Makes Nina Hagen look like Kylie Minogue.
            - katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (08/24/90)

<<
<
<Bruce is working on the next version now.
<
<-larry

In that case I'll clarify my wish-list:
	* Bindings somehow readable by hex illiterate humans.
	* Ability to bind macros from within ARexx programs.
	* Hidden views.

I might even pay for it.

Jesper.
--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

My favorite kill move is to befriend the opponent and have him die of old age.
            - dbn@wyvern.UUCP (Daniel B. Nissman) in rec.martial-arts