[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Recoverable ramdrive doesn't

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (08/29/90)

My apologies if this is an old topic, but it's new to me.

Last weekend I installed a Rejuvenator board in my Amiga 1000.  I also
have a 2-meg board in the expansion slot and an Insider 1-meg board
inside (which isn't contributing anything because I don't have an
addmem program right now).

My usual boot floppy mounts a rad: and copies itself over.  Warm-booting
is from the rad:, and has always performed flawlessly until now.
Now, on every boot, cold or warm, my machine asks for a boot disk.  And
it always has to remount rad: ("assign rad: exists" always fails).
Once it is mounted rad: works fine, except that it doesn't recover
on the next reboot.

The Rejuvenator contains one meg of ram which configs the way the
original 512k used to.  The original 512k in the system now appears at
$C00000, and the Insider board would appear at $A00000 if it were addmem'ed.
(This is an invalid address under the original memory mapping, but not
with the rejuvenator installed).  The 2-meg board on the expansion bus
autoconfigs.  I am running setpatch and fastmemfirst in my startup-sequence
before mounting rad:, and there is plenty of memory in the 2-meg board
without rad: having to be placed in C00000 memory.

Any ideas?  Hopefully ones which don't involve opening the case again :-)

Kenneth Herron

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (08/29/90)

In article <15892@s.ms.uky.edu>, kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
> My apologies if this is an old topic, but it's new to me.
>
> Last weekend I installed a Rejuvenator board in my Amiga 1000.  I also
> have a 2-meg board in the expansion slot and an Insider 1-meg board
> inside (which isn't contributing anything because I don't have an
> addmem program right now).
>
> My usual boot floppy mounts a rad: and copies itself over.  Warm-booting
> is from the rad:, and has always performed flawlessly until now.
> Now, on every boot, cold or warm, my machine asks for a boot disk.  And
> it always has to remount rad: ("assign rad: exists" always fails).
> Once it is mounted rad: works fine, except that it doesn't recover
> on the next reboot.

[stuff deleted]

It sounds like you encountered one of the popular bugs in the Exec startup
routine. The problem is that up to 2MB of chip RAM is recognized and
added, but then - after reboot - >512K is considered invalid! What makes that
devastating is that when Exec finds its structures to be invalid, it does
the favor of clearing all local memory (how nice of it!)

A partial and temporary solution is to use the "-r" option of SetPatch.
We may safely assume that this is fixed in 2.0. I hope they also got rid
of the useless and annoying code that clears local memory.

-- Dan Babcock

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/30/90)

:
:Last weekend I installed a Rejuvenator board in my Amiga 1000.  I also
:have a 2-meg board in the expansion slot and an Insider 1-meg board
:inside (which isn't contributing anything because I don't have an
:addmem program right now).
:
:   [I can see it coming, so I'll just jump in...]

	When you use RAD: on a machine with the Super Agnus installed,
you need to add the 'r' option to SetPatch. ie., SetPatch r. This
will allow you to boot from rad:.

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (08/31/90)

In article <15892@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>My apologies if this is an old topic, but it's new to me.
>
>Once it is mounted rad: works fine, except that it doesn't recover
>on the next reboot.

Try

SetPatch r

at the start of your startup-sequence.

Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky