[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 512K FastRam 3000

In <1990Aug28.192905.13813@nmt.edu>, dksnsr@nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>My friend recently bought an A3000 and upon setting it up and doing an
>avail, it showed the maximum FAST ram to be 512K!  So we checked the chips
>and jumper settings and all seemed to be fine... also took a look at the
>startup-sequence to see if there were any descreptancies, but none found.
>Any help would be appreciated...

That's the amount of the max FAST RAM.  KickStart is loaded into the other
512K, and it is not available to the user.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

dksnsr@nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (08/29/90)

My friend recently bought an A3000 and upon setting it up and doing an
avail, it showed the maximum FAST ram to be 512K!  So we checked the chips
and jumper settings and all seemed to be fine... also took a look at the
startup-sequence to see if there were any descreptancies, but none found.
Any help would be appreciated...

-Dino Khoe
--
========================= MM   MM   OOOOO    SSSSS   HH  HH
Dr. Mosh		| MMM MMM  OO   OO  SS       HHHHHH

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (08/30/90)

All Amiga 3000's shipped so far startup by reserving 512k of FAST RAM ro
load the Kickstart image off disk to.  When the ROM version (true final)
of 2.0 is released, you will not have this happen.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug28.192905.13813@nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
:My friend recently bought an A3000 and upon setting it up and doing an
:avail, it showed the maximum FAST ram to be 512K!  So we checked the chips
:and jumper settings and all seemed to be fine... also took a look at the
:startup-sequence to see if there were any descreptancies, but none found.
:Any help would be appreciated...

	On the EPROM versions of the 3000 (read that, any 3000 before 2.0
has been installed as a ROM) the Kickstart is loaded into memory and
executed from there. That makes it easy for you to update differing versions
of kickstart by simply putting a different disk in and telling the Amiga to
update kickstart. It does, however, use up the 512K that Kickstart uses.

:-Dino Khoe
:--
:========================= MM   MM   OOOOO    SSSSS   HH  HH
:Dr. Mosh		| MMM MMM  OO   OO  SS       HHHHHH
:dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu	| MM M MM  OO   OO   SSSSS   HH  HH
:Computer Science      	| MM   MM   OOOOO   SSSSS    HH  HH

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug28.192905.13813@nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:

>My friend recently bought an A3000 and upon setting it up and doing an
>avail, it showed the maximum FAST ram to be 512K!...

A large number of people are having this same problem.  PLEASE do not
return the machine, it is not broken.  Until the OS goes into ROM,
it is loaded from disk into RAM.  Since the OS takes up 512K, you
will be short 512K until 2.0 is finally put into ROM.

All developers should note this fact if you purchase an A3000.
(We have had at least 2 such machines returned as broken.)

Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (09/01/90)

In article <14111@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>Until the OS goes into ROM,
>it is loaded from disk into RAM.  Since the OS takes up 512K, you
>will be short 512K until 2.0 is finally put into ROM.

:)  Now see, that's what you get for having the harddrive interface work so
fast that the notice which says "loading kickstart 2.x" lasts for a shorter
period of time than most people can read it in.

Many smileys of course.  I am very impressed with my A3000 -- especially the
fact that I can now watch TV with it on (where previously with my A500, I could
not see many channels).

>Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug29.203331.25529@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
> In article <1990Aug28.192905.13813@nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmt.edu (Dino Khoe) writes:
> :My friend recently bought an A3000 and upon setting it up and doing an
> :avail, it showed the maximum FAST ram to be 512K!  So we checked the chips
>
> 	On the EPROM versions of the 3000 (read that, any 3000 before 2.0
> has been installed as a ROM) the Kickstart is loaded into memory and
> executed from there. That makes it easy for you to update differing versions

I just had the same unpleasant surprise as Mr. Khoe. I booted up a
2 Meg A3000 from the system so thoughtfully preloaded on the hard
disk by C= and found the following :
    866... bytes of graphics ram available out of 1 Meg = 1,048,576
bytes installed. So about 162,000 bytes of graphics memory are being
used by the system. I assume this is for the system neucleus and the
graphics screens.
BUT only 220... bytes of other (fast) ram available out of 1 Meg fast
ram installed ???
Mr. Seymores posting and one by Mr. Uszumn explain where 512K of the
fast ram has disappeared to. The RAM: disk accounts for another 16K.
But what's eating up the remaining 270K ??
On my 512K A1000, after loading up about 60K of my C directory to RAM:
and getting rid of WB, Is still have about 280,000 bytes available in
cli mode.
Also the A3000 is one of those that has a 50 Meg hard disk. (Again
praises to C= for their generosity). It comes with two partitions
5 megMEGeg. for SYS: and 41 Meg for WWRK: But where are the remaining 5
or so Megs?? On my IBM PS/2 the 40 Meg. hard drive has 40 Meg.
available for me to use.
I hope at least that the 4 Meg. of expansion ram due to be added
to the A3000 will all be available.

             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@uncvm1.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-6501

dfisk@level10.UUCP (David Fisk) (09/01/90)

>In article <1990Aug28.192905.13813@nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>
>My friend recently bought an A3000 and upon setting it up and doing an
>avail, it showed the maximum FAST ram to be 512K!  So we checked the chips
>and jumper settings and all seemed to be fine... also took a look at the
>startup-sequence to see if there were any descreptancies, but none found.
>Any help would be appreciated...

I ran into the same situation the first time I upgraded a 3000. You see,
the first time I did it, it was the store's demo unit and the unit showed
2M Chip total and 1M Fast. However, when I added memory to a recent
RELEASE 3000 I only got 512K Fast and was confused for a while. Then a
quick call to tech support cleared things up. With the current 3000's the
memory that is used to load KickStart doesn't even show up to the system.
This is why you only see 512K, the other 512 is KickStart. I also noticed
that these 3000's have a little daughter board in the EPROM sockets holding
the boot chips.

Dave...
  David Fisk - level10!dfisk@ssi3b1.zone1.com	 dfisk@level10.UUCP
  ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!level10!dfisk