[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Which directories must be present to boot?

mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) (08/28/90)

While renaming things to see if the layout of my filesystem could be made to
look more like a UNIX system I discovered a (to my mind) bizarre fact about
the boot process. If sys:c and sys:libs are not present the boot will start
the drive motor and then hang. If I create sys:c and sys:libs as empty
directories my startup file is read and I can assign libs: and c: to their
correct places. I can understand the boot not working if sys:s cannot be found
but why does it need sys:c and sys:libs (these are empty directories so I know
it doesn't need to load anything from them before reading the startup file).
Can someone who knows more about what happens at boot time explain what's
going on?

advaTHANKSnce

--
							 _   _   _    _   _
Michael Gordon - mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk OR ee.ed.ac.uk	| |_| |_| |__| |_| |

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/01/90)

>In article <5962@castle.ed.ac.uk> mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) writes:
>look more like a UNIX system I discovered a (to my mind) bizarre fact about
>the boot process. If sys:c and sys:libs are not present the boot will start
>the drive motor and then hang. If I create sys:c and sys:libs as empty
>directories my startup file is read and I can assign libs: and c: to their
>correct places.

   You don't happen to use BindNames or a similar program to do the assigns?
BindNames has a bug that will cause it to hang the machine under these
circumstances.

   Either have the directories present, make the SYS:, L:, Libs:, Fonts: etc
assigns explicit in BindNames, or use the real assign command.

   If you use the Assign command already, I'll keep quiet...

                                -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) (09/04/90)

(sorry to post this but our mailer can't cope with the return address)

#
#   You don't happen to use BindNames or a similar program to do the assigns?
#BindNames has a bug that will cause it to hang the machine under these
#circumstances.
#
#--
#|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
#|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
#\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

Yes, I am using Bindnames to set things up. Since I really don't want to switch
back to explicit assigns, until the bug is fixed I'll just leave things as they
now - sys:c and sys:libs empty with the hidden bit on. I'm using SKsh so I never
see them.

Thanks
Michael
--