[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DAVE HAYNIE!!!

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (08/27/90)

  Sorry Dave, I just wanted to make sure I flagged you down before you skipped
past this message.  I'm still working on getting a 2 meg Agnus into a 2000.
My 1 meg agnus map the on-board 1 meg into chip RAM from 0 to 1 meg.  I have a
16 bit 2 meg RAM board and a 4 meg 2630 board.  These are mapped from 2 meg to
8 meg.  the question is:  What happened to the space from 1 meg to 2 meg
($100000 - $1fffff)?  If I am to get the 2 meg agnus to read 2 meg, musn't the
second meg be in the space right after the first meg?  I don't necessarily
want the second meg to be 32 bits wide, in fact I don't want it that way at
all so when I go back to 68000 mode it'll still work.  How can I get the 16
bit expansion board (or the first 1 meg of it) mapped right after the first
meg of chip RAM?  Thank you ahead of time.

I am getting incredibly sick of seeing article after article posted
with DAVE HAYNIE in the subject line.  If there is only one person
in the whole world who can solve your problem, what in HELL are you
doing posting the question?  The man _does_ have an email box, his
address is available from any of dozens of helpful postings online
from him, and the net doesn't need to spend money broadcasting
private mail to the known universe.

Don't abuse Dave's good offices insisting he read through all of the
garbage posted here looking for stuff addressed to him; send it where
he's sure to see it and tens of thousands of other people reading news
don't have to cope with it.

Please, if you are sending mail, DON'T do it with a posting.

THINK!

Kent, the man from xanth.

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (08/28/90)

Hey!  Chill!  Mr. Haynie is often the only one with the expertise to answer the
posers we send, HOWEVER there ARE those of us who are interested in what is
being asked of him and in his responses.  I for one appreciate his dilligence
in assisting us and like being reminded that he is there for our support.  I
think that, in general, postings have been kept to a minimum when they are only
of interest to a single individual (I for one have asked him several questions
that you know nothing of and no one else would have the least interest in).
Please realize that most people asking for his help are mature enough to
moderate themselves and that if they aren't Dave is not going to put up with
it either...

 _______              __________
  _/____) '  __  /_/       /  '  /  / __  _      "N.I.N.J.A.J.I.S."-Me
  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
  ___________________________________________/   Founder:  IDGAFF Ltd.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.

In article <4133@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>  Sorry Dave, I just wanted to make sure I flagged you down before you skipped
>past this message.  I'm still working on getting a 2 meg Agnus into a 2000.

OK, fine, but you're going about it wrong.

>My 1 meg agnus map the on-board 1 meg into chip RAM from 0 to 1 meg.

Yes, and, ignoring other issues, you will have to have a similar additional
1 meg of Chip RAM to fill the second meg of Chip RAM space.  How to get that
memory there without getting too ugly will be your problem.

>I have a 16 bit 2 meg RAM board and a 4 meg 2630 board.

Neither of those will do you one bit of good as Chip RAM.  Chip RAM in on
the Agnus bus, neither of those memory chunks are addressable by Agnus.  You
have to find some way to tack another meg of memory onto the Chip bus, and
then you'll have to rewire some memory decode logic to get the 2 Meg Agnus
to address that memory, since it does things a little differently than 1 Meg
or 512K Agnus.

>What happened to the space from 1 meg to 2 meg ($100000 - $1fffff)?

That memory space is on the Chip bus, but there's no simple way to put any
additional memory there.

>I don't necessarily want the second meg to be 32 bits wide,

That's good, because it can't be 32 bits wide on an A2000, period.

>How can I get the 16 bit expansion board (or the first 1 meg of it) mapped
>right after the first meg of chip RAM?

You can't.  If you're into building your own memory board, or some similar
thing, you can probably build a tower board, a thing that plugs into the 84
pin Agnus socket and contains the extra decoding logic and the second megabyte.
Pretty ugly, though, and not a whole lot of room down there to put such a
creation.

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!