[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 100ns SC ZIPs fast enough for A3000-25?

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (08/31/90)

[]

The subject line says it all!  Are 100ns static column DRAMs (ZIPs) fast
enough for best-memory-speed operation on an Amiga 3000?  I thought Dave
Haynie had stated that 100ns SC DRAMs are all that are needed for the
A3000-25, but every post about SC ZIPs seems to be talking about the price of
80ns chips.

And how about those prices!  The best price for 1Mx4 SC ZIPs in the ads of
the September 1990 issue of Amiga World is $64!!  That's $128 per megabyte!
Has somebody out there found a better price?

One last question now that I have your attention:  Are the new A3000-25/40's
shipping with 50MB HDs?  Mine is still on order - I'm just wondering what
size HD I'll receive.

That's all!  Thanks muchly for any info!

Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Engg Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/01/90)

>In article <1990Aug30.230504.19264@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:
>[]
>
>The subject line says it all!  Are 100ns static column DRAMs (ZIPs) fast
>enough for best-memory-speed operation on an Amiga 3000?

   They might be - they're just not guaranteed to be all over the normal
temperature range, or some other marginal spec.

>every post about SC ZIPs seems to be talking about the price of 80ns chips.

   In the manual, it's clearly documented that you need 80 ns parts, so that's
what I did.

>And how about those prices!  The best price for 1Mx4 SC ZIPs in the ads of
>the September 1990 issue of Amiga World is $64!!  That's $128 per megabyte!
>Has somebody out there found a better price?

   Unitex offered me a price of $60, so don't expect it to be better at the
moment. But compare that to prices of ram boards - any 2M boards at $240 ?

   Or get yourself 16 1M parts, and upgrade further when the 4M parts are
down at $30.

>shipping with 50MB HDs?

   Mine had a 40, but that was back in May. Others say they do.

                                                -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

rsmith@uncw.UUCP (Ross Smith) (09/02/90)

    Well, I ordered my machine in mid-June and in typicall (and expected)
CBM style it finally arrived and August 16th. What I ordered was
A3000 25Mhz/40Mb Hard Disk
1950 Multi-sync Monitor
AmigaVision
and a 1011 external 3 1/2 (gotta save that internal for later... )

What I actually recieved (and have as of now)
A3000 25Mhz/50Mb Hard Disk (10 more megs, yeah!)
and the monitor and external drive...

AmigaVision ("soon",says the dealer) has -NOT- arrived I keep hearing
rumors about the 3000 version/2.0 version (if there is one) not being
released yet... so I am still wating...

Hope that answered some of your questions...

                                               Ross Smith

In article <1990Aug30.230504.19264@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) writes:

>The subject line says it all!  Are 100ns static column DRAMs (ZIPs) fast
>enough for best-memory-speed operation on an Amiga 3000?  I thought Dave
>Haynie had stated that 100ns SC DRAMs are all that are needed for the
>A3000-25, but every post about SC ZIPs seems to be talking about the price of
>80ns chips.

OK.  The deal is, the RAMSEY chip was designed to use 100ns DRAMs, for 16MHz
or 25MHz (the chip is optimized for either; it runs basic 4 clock cycles for
16MHz, 5 clock cycles for 25MHz).  However, the IC people aren't able to
guarantee operation with 100ns DRAMs over the full power and temperature
range of the chip, so we call for 80ns DRAMs.  I can tell you that 100ns
parts would work in most of the systems most of the time, but unless I can
say they work in all of the systems all of the time, I don't recommend it
(nor does Greg Berlin, who designed RAMSEY and wrote the specs, which is what
the 80ns figure from the A3000 manual is based on).

>Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Engg Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!