[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Mac format filesystem

jonc@uts.amdahl.com (Jonathan Chang) (09/04/90)

Can someone explain how AMAX II is able to use standard Amiga drives
to read/write Mac format disks?

I thougt it wasn't possible since Macs use variable-speed drives.
Does AMAX use a combination of software devices and libraries to do it
a la Cross-DOS and MSH?  or is it the AMAX board that does the magic?

--- /// ---
jon chang			     jonc@uts.amdahl.com
"Three may keep a secret if two are dead." -- B.Franklin

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (09/04/90)

In article <16lq02Iwc5pn01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, jonc@uts.amdahl.com (Jonathan Chang) writes:
> Can someone explain how AMAX II is able to use standard Amiga drives
> to read/write Mac format disks?
>
> I thougt it wasn't possible since Macs use variable-speed drives.
> Does AMAX use a combination of software devices and libraries to do it
> a la Cross-DOS and MSH?  or is it the AMAX board that does the magic?
>

> --- /// ---
> jon chang                          jonc@uts.amdahl.com
> "Three may keep a secret if two are dead." -- B.Franklin

I assume that they are using a custom floppy controller. Instead of
slowing down the drive (a really dumb thing to do) they simply increase
the bit rate.

-- Dan Babcock

jonc@uts.amdahl.com (Jonathan Chang) writes:

>Can someone explain how AMAX II is able to use standard Amiga drives
>to read/write Mac format disks?

>I thougt it wasn't possible since Macs use variable-speed drives.
>Does AMAX use a combination of software devices and libraries to do it
>a la Cross-DOS and MSH?  or is it the AMAX board that does the magic?

I just got Amax II. Looks pretty nice. but all I can do right now is watch
the startup screen reject disks, till I get the Mac OS (on order). But
what the manual says is that Amax can read/write several types of formats

1> the normal Mac format disks. You need to have a mac drive for this

2> Amax format disks. This is a special format that Amax uses on disks in
the amiga drives.

3> Atari ST Magic Sac and Spectre macintosh emulator format disks on the
amiga drives.

4> Partition a hard drive or put a Mac formated HD and use that.

So, AMAX can't write and read standard Mac formated disks in the Amiga drives,
you have to use a mac drive for that.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

Ooops, I think I just figured out what Mr Chang was talking about.

You meant Amax II PLUS

Amax II+ is a hardware card that plugs into your amiga 2000 and allows you
to plug in your Amiga drive into it and use it as a Mac drive. It hasn't
been released yet (November is the date I have been given).

As to how it works, I dunno. I suspect it somehow controls the speed of the
Amiga drive in some fashion.