[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Pointer needed on bi-direction parallel i/o

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/16/90)

There are lots of examples around on how to use the serial port, but I'm
interested in bi-directional use of the parallel port.  There appears to
be very little written on the matter - the RKM's are somewhat terse - and
most people steer clear of it.  There are some hardware problems
involved (the connections are not full duplex) so there needs to be some
co-operation on the send and receive, or collision detection hardware,
but I can handle that.  What I really need is examples of the standard
way to interface to it - or I will end up going in at the register level.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) (08/22/90)

In article <2084@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) writes:
>There are lots of examples around on how to use the serial port, but I'm
>interested in bi-directional use of the parallel port.  There appears to

I suggest you use Matt Dillon's parnet.device, which allows multiple
processes to share the parallel port and write to/read from up to 255
other Amigas hooked up on the parallel port.  If you're accessing something
besides another Amiga, you can at least look at the code for pointers -
I believe he has released the assembly source.

  *****                                 NOTE NEW BBS NUMBER (AGAIN):
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)460-7430 =
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug22.153719.28582@unx.sas.com> walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) writes:
>In article <2084@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) writes:
>>There are lots of examples around on how to use the serial port, but I'm
>>interested in bi-directional use of the parallel port.  There appears to
>
>I suggest you use Matt Dillon's parnet.device, which allows multiple
>processes to share the parallel port and write to/read from up to 255
>other Amigas hooked up on the parallel port.  If you're accessing something
>besides another Amiga, you can at least look at the code for pointers -
>I believe he has released the assembly source.

    :-) the software can handle 255 other Amigas, but the bus drivers
    cannot.  It works between two Amigas and will probably work between
    three.  Beyond that I have no idea what the bus drivers have enough
    guts.

						    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/30/90)

:
:    :-) the software can handle 255 other Amigas, but the bus drivers
:    cannot.  It works between two Amigas and will probably work between
:    three.  Beyond that I have no idea what the bus drivers have enough
:    guts.

	Any chance you can elaborate on how the cabling would be done for
three Amigas? I'm running NET: via the parallel port between the 2000 and
3000, but I'd sure like to hook the 1000 in also... It's wonderful to be
able to use any HD partition on any machine. :-) Normally, you just jumper
between select and acknowledge for two machines. No need for some sort of
token ring on three machines? Just look at all the packets and only intercept
those that are supposed to be talking to you?
	If I can just jumper the three machines together and add in a UNIT=2
to one, I'll be happy! :-)

:						    -Matt
:
:--
:
:
:    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
:    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
:    Berkeley, Ca. 94708
:    USA

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Aug29.202423.25341@agora.uucp> billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:

>	Any chance you can elaborate on how the cabling would be done for
>three Amigas? I'm running NET: via the parallel port between the 2000 and
>3000, but I'd sure like to hook the 1000 in also... It's wonderful to be
>able to use any HD partition on any machine. :-) Normally, you just jumper
>between select and acknowledge for two machines. No need for some sort of
>token ring on three machines? Just look at all the packets and only intercept
>those that are supposed to be talking to you?

    Yes, exactly.  I dunno how you would go about making such a cable, but
    the connections are the same.  I think Doug needs to add a few
    additional options to NET: to support more than two amigas, setting
    UNIT=2 will not work (it only checks 0, non-0 from what I understand)

    Three amigas will probably work but likely 4 will be unreliable... one
    would need to make a circuit board with real open collector drivers (use
    the same spec as IEEE-488 for line loading).

					    -Matt

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/08/90)

In article <dillon.5762@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
:In article <1990Aug29.202423.25341@agora.uucp> billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
:>
:>Normally, you just jumper
:>between select and acknowledge for two machines.
:
:    Yes, exactly.  I dunno how you would go about making such a cable, but
:    the connections are the same.

	Seems to be a simple enough task with ribbon cables. Build a gender
changer type gizmo on one end that does the jumpering (maybe conversion
between 1000 and 2000 parallel port at the same time) then hook each machine
into a chained ribbon cable. Just like with SCSI.

:    I think Doug needs to add a few
:    additional options to NET: to support more than two amigas, setting
:    UNIT=2 will not work (it only checks 0, non-0 from what I understand)

	I, for one, will keep on bugging him. :-} Too bad he has to work
for a living... He could get so much more PD done if he didn't...

:    Three amigas will probably work but likely 4 will be unreliable... one
:    would need to make a circuit board with real open collector drivers (use
:    the same spec as IEEE-488 for line loading).

	I'll have to start looking into this... Maybe I'll end up with a whole
bunch of little circuit boards that hook to each machines parallel port...
Gee, I could cenvert to fiber at the same time and allow for *long* networks.
Put in things like switches to go between printer/network... :-}

:					    -Matt
: