[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Query on distribution rights for amiga.lib/includes

jmelv@madnix.UUCP (John Melvin) (09/10/90)

Hi,

	A person who wants to try out DICE needs to know how to go about getting
the header files (includes) and amiga.lib.  Owning Manx C 5.0, I took a
quick look at the files.  The Manx std c includes are stamped with their
copyright, but the standard 1.3 includes for the amiga stuff seem to lack
any copyright notice at all.  Does this mean I could wrap them up and send
them to this person?  I hesitate since CATS sells this stuff for a small fee.
Is the fee just to cover the duplication and postage, or does the price act
as a license to use the stuff?  Since Manx doesn't use amiga.lib, nor include
it with teh distribution, how do I get it?  I think Lattice distributes it.
Assuming there is no restriction to the copying of the header files, does
this carry over to this library?

	So, getting down to the real question:  Can these files be copied, and
if not where should I tell this guy to seek them.  Thanks in advance for
any help.

JPM
---
John P. Melvin
                                                                       //
UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jmelv   \X/ AMIGA

John P. Melvin         "Magic is real -- unless declared integer."
                                                                       //
UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jmelv   \X/ AMIGA

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) (09/11/90)

The includes/amiga.lib, may not be redistributed.  They are Copyrighted by
Commodore, and anyone wanting to redistribute them must sign a license
agreement with CBM, and pay the appropriate fee.

Your friend's two low cost options are:
1.) Order the "Native Developer's Update 1.3" from CATS
2.) Register his copy of DICE with Matt Dillon

-Ed Berger
eb15@andrew.cmu.edu

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (09/11/90)

In article <1532@madnix.UUCP> jmelv@madnix.UUCP (John Melvin) writes:
>Hi,
>
>	A person who wants to try out DICE needs to know how to go about getting
>the header files (includes) and amiga.lib...
>	So, getting down to the real question:  Can these files be copied, and
>if not where should I tell this guy to seek them.

You want:

   1.3 native developer update -- $20.00
       includes (c and asm), autodocs, startup files, amiga.lib, etc.

Available through:

   CATS orders
   1200 Wilson Drive
   West Chester, PA  19380

Price includes shipping in the U.S.

Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (09/11/90)

>In article <1532@madnix.UUCP> jmelv@madnix.UUCP (John Melvin) writes:
>Hi,
>
>	A person who wants to try out DICE needs to know how to go about getting
>the header files (includes) and amiga.lib.  Owning Manx C 5.0, I took a
>quick look at the files.  The Manx std c includes are stamped with their

    The Includes and Amiga.Lib are COMMODORE files and copyrighten by
    Commodore.	I cannot distribute them in the FREEWARE version of DICE.

    I have a license to distribute them in the REGISTERED version of DICE,
    just as Lattice and Manx have licenses to distribute them with their own
    products.

>	So, getting down to the real question:	Can these files be copied, and
>if not where should I tell this guy to seek them.  Thanks in advance for
>any help.

    No, they cannot be copied.	Your friend can purchase them from CATS
    directly (Native Developer's Update, $20 I believe), or he can register
    for DICE ($40) to get the registered version which includes them.

    The reason I cannot distribute them with the freeware version, even
    freeware versions that I send to people personally, is that the copyright
    notice would become too confusing: "These files here cannot be redistributed
    but those over there can" etc...  Not to mention the fact that my
    distributing them over a public network would put my inviolation of the
    terms!

    Since the registered version is *not* freely redistributable the copyright
    notice and terms are plain and simple, and apply to the whole product.

						-Matt

>JPM
>---
>John P. Melvin
>									//
>UUCP:	{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jmelv   \X/ AMIGA
>
>--
>John P. Melvin 	"Magic is real -- unless declared integer."
>									//
>UUCP:	{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jmelv   \X/ AMIGA

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon