[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amax 1.0 Serial Port Usage???

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (09/11/90)

Howdy.
I was helping a friend with Amax 1.0. We were trying to download some stuff
off our local unix machine (well hoping to anyway.)

He had a copy of some terminal program called Z-term for the Mac. I brought
my low-tech Concord Data Systems 2400-baud modem over to try and get the
files.

I have to do my own dialing with this modem. DTR went high when Z-Term
started up. I called and connected with no problems. When I hit return,
I could see TX flickering, but I wasn't waking up the NIU's at the other
end.

My serial cable is wired TX, RX, DTR, DCD, CTS, RTS, GND. Do Mac Terminal
programs require x-on x-off or some other bizarre RS232/422 lines.
I DID make sure there were no checks besides X-on X-off on the flow control
menu option of Z-term.

--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | Currently at work on a VERY deranged   >

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (09/12/90)

In article <13529@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU
(BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:

>I was helping a friend with Amax 1.0. We were trying to download some stuff
>off our local unix machine (well hoping to anyway.)
>
>He had a copy of some terminal program called Z-term for the Mac. I brought
>my low-tech Concord Data Systems 2400-baud modem over to try and get the
>files.
>
>I have to do my own dialing with this modem. DTR went high when Z-Term
>started up. I called and connected with no problems. When I hit return,
>I could see TX flickering, but I wasn't waking up the NIU's at the other
>end.
>
>My serial cable is wired TX, RX, DTR, DCD, CTS, RTS, GND. Do Mac Terminal
>programs require x-on x-off or some other bizarre RS232/422 lines.
>I DID make sure there were no checks besides X-on X-off on the flow control
>menu option of Z-term.

     The problem must be on the other end.  One time I fired up
Z-Term on my A1000 running A-Max 1.0 and called a local BBS with
no problems.  I was using the same serial port, cable, and modem
(Supra 2400) which I normally use for my heavy BBS activity,
including this Usenet feed.

     Try establishing the hookup with a terminal program in Amiga
mode.  If you still can't get through, the problem is definitely
not in either A-Max or Z-Term.  Once you get it going, though, you
should be able to switch to A-Max/Z-Term with no further trouble.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
Intel puts the "backward" in "backward compatible."