[comp.sys.amiga.tech] User startup under AmigaOS 2.0

The code for handling the monitors directory was nice. So...

Just a couple of things I've done to make it more convenient to configure
stuff under 2.0. I was already quite pleased with the test for and execution
of "s:user-startup" to keep "s:startup-sequence" clean. I've created a user
startup file that looks like:

.bra {
.ket }

echo "User configuration 1 Sep 90"
list >ram:t/rc-temp s:rc/#?.rc nohead lformat="execute %s%s"
execute ram:t/rc-temp
echo "Completed user configuration"

Then in s:rc:

Directory "System2.0:S/rc" on Friday 01-Sep-78
work.rc                       92 ----rwed Today     20:48:07
dmcs.rc                       77 ----rwed Today     20:48:22
tetrix.rc                     69 ----rwed Today     20:48:40
manx.bak                     294 ----rwed Today     20:56:46
uucp.rc                      568 ----rwed Today     20:56:55
manx.rc                      307 ----rwed Today     21:02:30
6 files - 13 blocks used

As an example, s:rc/uucp.rc:

.bra {
.ket }
;
; Matt Dillon's UUCP setup
;
;
; TMP: is used by DCron

if exists work:uucp
  echo "Installing UUCP assignments"
  stack 8192
  assign UUCP: work:uucp

  Assign TMP: ram:
  Assign UUSPOOL: UUCP:Spool
  Assign UULIB: UUCP:Lib
  Assign UUMAIL: UUCP:Mail
  Assign UUNEWS: UUCP:News
  Assign UUPUB: UUCP:Pub
  Assign UUPUBW: UUCP:Pub
  Assign Getty: UUCP:Lib
  Assign UUMan: UUCP:man
  mount null:
  mount uuser:

  path uucp:c add

  echo "Starting Getty and DCron"
  run >nil: <nil: Getty -B1200 -Mh -7
  wait 4
  run >nil: <nil: dcron T:dcron.log
endif

Now if this could be set up in the default 2.x configuration it'd become a
snap to install programs. People would still have to edit mountlist, but
that isn't order dependent.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (09/03/90)

>The code for handling the monitors directory was nice. So...
>
>Just a couple of things I've done to make it more convenient to configure
>stuff under 2.0. I was already quite pleased with the test for and execution
>of "s:user-startup" to keep "s:startup-sequence" clean. I've created a user
>startup file that looks like:
> [...[

>Now if this could be set up in the default 2.x configuration it'd become a
>snap to install programs. People would still have to edit mountlist, but
>that isn't order dependent.

I'd say the WBStartup drawer is quite nice. Just drag an icon into
it and the icon will be executed when the machine boots. This also
works for script files if they have an icon with default tool=iconx

Second, there is really no need for the user to edit mount lists if
the installation scripts and mountlists are supplied by the developer
of the software. It's not necessary to have all mount list entries
in the same file. Used like: "mount null: from devs:null.mountlist".

--------------
Robin Rosenberg

In article <ROSENBER.90Sep3010509@ra.abo.fi> rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) writes:
> I'd say the WBStartup drawer is quite nice. Just drag an icon into
> it and the icon will be executed when the machine boots. This also
> works for script files if they have an icon with default tool=iconx

That's when workbench starts up. That's nice, too, but one might want to
run without Workbench (not as important as on the 1000, when the WB used
a significant fraction of system RAM, but possible). I mean, why did they
bother with user-startup then?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (09/11/90)

In article <ROSENBER.90Sep3010509@ra.abo.fi> rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) writes:

>I'd say the WBStartup drawer is quite nice. Just drag an icon into
>it and the icon will be executed when the machine boots. This also
>works for script files if they have an icon with default tool=iconx

There's another problem regarding the WBStartup drawer

I don't know in what ORDER the programs are run, which in some
cases can be crucial.

			Karl
---

Karl Hultland,(d87-khd@sm.luth.se)
University of Lulea,Sweden

Egoist: a person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
						- A. Bierce

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (09/12/90)

In article <1083@tau.sm.luth.se> Karl-Gunnar Hultland <d87-khd@tau.luth.se> writes:
>There's another problem regarding the WBStartup drawer
>
>I don't know in what ORDER the programs are run, which in some
>cases can be crucial.

You can add the STARTPRI=n tooltype to things in the startup drawer,
which guarantees that they will be executed in your desired order.

Poof done.

>			Karl
>---
>
>Karl Hultland,(d87-khd@sm.luth.se)

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com