[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Keyboard input while in string gadgets

lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) (09/04/90)

Is there any way to get keystrokes (function keys in particular) while in a
string gadget?  It appears that Intuition grabs all the input while a
string gadget is active, but I'd like to allow keyboard shortcuts and such
during this time...

Thanks for any help!!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Systems Administrator				PO Box 285	       |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		1990 Industrial Blvd   |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (09/11/90)

In article <94@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) writes:
)Is there any way to get keystrokes (function keys in particular) while in a
)string gadget?  It appears that Intuition grabs all the input while a
)string gadget is active, but I'd like to allow keyboard shortcuts and such
)during this time...

Under V2.0 it's fully supported.  Under V1.3 you have to hack.  One
way is to install an input handler, but there are some edge cases.
Some people use menu shortcuts, which are passed through (a bug), but
this does not work in V2.0.

	jimm
--
--------------------------------------------------	- opinions by me
"I've got great news.  That gum you like is going to come back in style."

lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) (09/12/90)

In article <6107@amiga.UUCP>, jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> In article <94@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) writes:
> )Is there any way to get keystrokes (function keys in particular) while in a
> )string gadget?  It appears that Intuition grabs all the input while a
> )string gadget is active, but I'd like to allow keyboard shortcuts and such
> )during this time...
>
> Under V2.0 it's fully supported.  Under V1.3 you have to hack.  One
> way is to install an input handler, but there are some edge cases.
> Some people use menu shortcuts, which are passed through (a bug), but
> this does not work in V2.0.

How is it done under 2.0?  In particular, would it be possible to use the
menu shortcut bug in 1.3 for now and be able to use whatever 2.0 provides
without too much rewriting?

The idea of using Amiga keys which are bound to menu options is rather
appealing for my particular package, so hopefully the 2.0 solution will be
something close to that?
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Systems Administrator				PO Box 285	       |
| incstar!lhotka@rosevax.rosemount.com		1990 Industrial Blvd   |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (09/13/90)

In article <190@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) writes:
>In article <6107@amiga.UUCP>, jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>> In article <94@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) writes:
>> )Is there any way to get keystrokes (function keys in particular) while in a
>> )string gadget?  It appears that Intuition grabs all the input while a
>> )string gadget is active, but I'd like to allow keyboard shortcuts and such
>> )during this time...
>>
>> Under V2.0 it's fully supported.  Under V1.3 you have to hack.  One
>> way is to install an input handler, but there are some edge cases.
>> Some people use menu shortcuts, which are passed through (a bug), but
>> this does not work in V2.0.
>>

>How is it done under 2.0?  In particular, would it be possible to use the
>menu shortcut bug in 1.3 for now and be able to use whatever 2.0 provides
>without too much rewriting?

We allow you to install a custom editing hook which allows you to act
on any keypress or mouse event relevant to the string gadget.  So you can
take whatever action you wish on any of those events.  These actions
can include:

Activating the next or previous string gadget (say on <TAB> or <BACK-TAB>)
Constraining the form of the input (eg. phone numbers, or postal codes)
Other functions you used to use menu equivalents for
etc.

>/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com