[comp.sys.amiga.tech] FFS HD optimizer?

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (09/12/90)

Does there exist a program (commercial, PD, shareware, whatever) that will do
a good job of optimizing my hard disk?  I figure I should be getting better
than the 250K/sec that DiskSpeed reports.

Here's my setup:
  A2000
  GVP SCSI controller
  Quantum 40 with two 20M FFS partitions
  3 megabytes RAM

I've tried BAD, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  It works great on
floppies, but on either partition of my HD it just sits there and says
"Let's get to it" after I click the "blitz" gadget.  It doesn't use any
memory, and my hard drive light doesn't flash.  All that happens is that
I can't access whatever partition it's supposed be optimizing.

Muchas gracias!!!
"The beauty queen, clevely clad,                    Logan Shaw
 admires herself in a cigarette ad.                 lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Will she admit that all was in vain                ========================
 when the face in her mirror cracks like a windowpane?"
              -Elim Hall, _Things_Break_

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/14/90)

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
<
< Does there exist a program (commercial, PD, shareware, whatever) that will do
< a good job of optimizing my hard disk?  I figure I should be getting better
< than the 250K/sec that DiskSpeed reports.
<
< I've tried BAD, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  It works great on
< floppies, but on either partition of my HD it just sits there and says
< "Let's get to it" after I click the "blitz" gadget.  It doesn't use any
< memory, and my hard drive light doesn't flash.  All that happens is that
< I can't access whatever partition it's supposed be optimizing.

I've seen quite a few of these type of postings lately, as well as some
calling for fsck for the Amiga.  I'm curious as to anyone's experience
with Quarterback Tools, which claims to have both.  The ads in .info,
AmigaWorld and Amazing/Amiga say that it can optimize any hard disk,
FFS or OFS, and that it can repair any hard disk IN PLACE.  It also has
features for undeleting files and some other fine tuning.  I'm not sure
if it is a single program with many options, or multiple utilities
bundled together.

So, has anyone used these tools, or are they just advertising vaporware?

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |  //__--\O/--__\\    nI' yIyIn 'ej yIchep.

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (09/19/90)

In article <42340@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:
>I'm curious as to anyone's experience
>with Quarterback Tools, which claims to have both.  The ads in .info,
>AmigaWorld and Amazing/Amiga say that it can optimize any hard disk,
>FFS or OFS, and that it can repair any hard disk IN PLACE.  It also has
>features for undeleting files and some other fine tuning.  I'm not sure
>if it is a single program with many options, or multiple utilities
>bundled together.
>
>So, has anyone used these tools, or are they just advertising vaporware?

I called Central Coast Software and they said that Quarterback Tools is still
in beta test and should be shipping within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I was also told that there is a special deal for current users of Quarterback
backup software.  For $53.97 + $3.00 shipping/handling plus your serial number
they will ship Quarterback Tools when it becomes available.

Central Coast Software has supported the Amiga for quite a while now, so I
will soon send my money in.

Their phone number is (303) 526-1030.

Address:  Central Coast Software
	  424 Vista Ave.
	  Golden, CO  80401

     //
    //    "Only Amiga Makes It Possible!"        mcc@moscom.com
\\ //
 XXX      "On the other hand, you have different fingers..." Steven Wright
--
     //