[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SAS/C5.10 Runtime Stack allocation

phao172@emx.utexas.edu (Randy M. Roberts) (09/18/90)

I have installed my new version of SAS/C version 5.10.  The docs that
come with it contain the only reference I know of about runtime stack
allocation.  I will list this reference without permission of SAS:

Minimum Stack	5.10 allows you to specify a minimum stack size by ini-
Size            tializing the  stack variable at compile time.  If you do,
		and your program is invoked with a smaller stack, the
		startup code will allocate a new stack of the minimum
		size.

I have tried the following to get it to work:

/* beginning of program file */

int stack = 1000000;

main ()
{

/* ... */

}

/* end of program file */

This didn't work.  The SAS requester came up saying I didn't have enough
stack space.  When I did a "stack 1000000" in my shell the program ran fine.
I then tried to make stack "static" but that didn't work either.  I have
noticed a _stack listed in lib:lc.lib so it must be an external reference, but
I just can't get it to work.  Any suggestions?

Regards,
Randy

walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) (09/20/90)

In article <37308@ut-emx> phao172@emx.utexas.edu (Randy M. Roberts) writes:
>I have tried the following to get it to work:
>
>/* beginning of program file */
>
>int stack = 1000000;

You must call the variable _stack, not stack, and link with cres.o.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)460-7430 =
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker