[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Hard Disk Cache

c60c-1gd@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Joon Song) (09/08/90)

Are there any hard disk cache programs available for the AMIGA?  If not,
is there a limitation in the SCSI interface that prevents the use of a
disk cache?

Thanks for any info,
Joon Song
c60c-1gd@web.berkeley.edu

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/13/90)

>In article <1990Sep7.211321.989@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-1gd@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Joon Song) writes:
>
>Are there any hard disk cache programs available for the AMIGA?  If not,
>is there a limitation in the SCSI interface that prevents the use of a
>disk cache?

    ASDG's FaccII will do it, or the BlitzDisk included with TxEd. I partly
bought TxEd because of BlitzDisk - it works like a charm, though with my Quantum,
I don't really need any buffers.

                                    -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (09/18/90)

>>Are there any hard disk cache programs available for the AMIGA? If not,
>>is there a limitation in the SCSI interface that prevents the use of a
>>disk cache?

> ASDG's FacII wil do it, or the BlitzDisk included with TxEd. I partly
>bought TxEd because of BlitzDisk - it works like a charm, though with my
>Quantum,
>I don't realy ned any bufers.
>
> -Henrik

        How is this possible???  Are you referring to PATCHING FaccII to
work with HDs?  As far as I know, FaccII was never designed to work with
HDs (let alone FFS in general, although it performs just fine on FFS
floppies).

 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  or  ....!{uunet}!watmath!xenitec!lemsys!clemon

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/20/90)

In article <02520.AA02520@lemsys.UUCP>, Craig Lemon writes:

> >>Are there any hard disk cache programs available for the AMIGA? If not,
>
>         How is this possible???  Are you referring to PATCHING FaccII to
> work with HDs?

   Uh, no, really I didn't know that FaccII doesn't like HD's. I used BlitzDisk
II, it works real great, and is very flexible, too. The first version of
BlitzDisk doesn't like FFS, though!

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (09/21/90)

In article <02520.AA02520@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>        How is this possible???  Are you referring to PATCHING FaccII to
>work with HDs?  As far as I know, FaccII was never designed to work with
>HDs (let alone FFS in general, although it performs just fine on FFS
>floppies).

You can patch FaccII to use a device different from trackdisk.device,
you have to change the name of the FaccII.port too if you want to
use FaccII for disks AND for a hardrive.

Nevertheless, unless you want to read a short file that can be hold
in the cache several times, you'll get a severe slowdown. The FaccII
program might be faster than floppies but it is definitely slower
than a harddrive. And it doesn't help against disk thrashing (write-through
cache).

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/24/90)

In article <1242@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de>, Michael van Elst writes:

> Nevertheless, unless you want to read a short file that can be hold
> in the cache several times, you'll get a severe slowdown. The FaccII
> program might be faster than floppies but it is definitely slower
> than a harddrive.

   If you do a lot of directory scanning, you may get a big win. I used a
program that would scan a dir of n files approx. n/2 times (!) - meaning my HD
was tearing itself apart. Using BlitzDisk to hold the dirs cured this and went
much faster. Though FaccII might be slower than BlitzDisk, it should hold true
in this case as well.

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (09/24/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech
Subject: File Info Block