[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Trouble with ADOS 2.0 and Fonts

In <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>On another note, the "snapshot window" menu option on the workbench
>seems non-functional. Right?

Doesn't seem non-functional to me. What are you expecting it to do?

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/23/90)

I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom. Any
attempt to specify Topaz.11 for (for example) menus or IntuiText
fails unless there is _another_ copy in the FONTS: directory.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

On another note, the "snapshot window" menu option on the workbench
seems non-functional. Right?

Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.

Regards Alan

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (09/24/90)

In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom.
>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.

>Regards Alan

I vote this post 'most likely to generate 1.7E9 responses.'  Do I hear
  a second?

This is right up there with the 'I'm having trouble getting my Amiga
  3000UX Xwindows startup going right' that popped up a few months ago.
  Any bets on whether it's the same person?

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (09/24/90)

In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom. Any
>attempt to specify Topaz.11 for (for example) menus or IntuiText
>fails unless there is _another_ copy in the FONTS: directory.
>
>Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?
Well It works fine for me. I don't even have a Topaz directory
in the Fonts: drawer. (Kick 36.143 WB 36.68). It MIGHT have been
a bug in a previous release.

>On another note, the "snapshot window" menu option on the workbench
>seems non-functional. Right?

No in fact "snapshot window" snapshots the placing and size of the
active window. (At least in my WB,again no info on your version))

				Karl

---

Karl Hultland,(d87-khd@sm.luth.se)
University of Lulea,Sweden

Revolution: in politics, an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.
						- A. Bierce

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (09/24/90)

In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom. Any
>attempt to specify Topaz.11 for (for example) menus or IntuiText
>fails unless there is _another_ copy in the FONTS: directory.
>
>Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

You are probably doing something wrong.  Do you know as fact that
topaz 11 is in ROM in the 2.0 version you have (it is not guaranteed
to be in ROM...)?  Can you open the other ROM fonts (topaz 8 and 9)?

>On another note, the "snapshot window" menu option on the workbench
>seems non-functional. Right?

You cannot snapshot the workbench window (the one with the disks in
it.)  You can only tell it to be backdrop or not (using the prefs
editor.)

>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.

Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/24/90)

In article <8601@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
:In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
:>I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom.
:>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.
:
:>Regards Alan
:
:I vote this post 'most likely to generate 1.7E9 responses.'  Do I hear
:  a second?
:
:This is right up there with the 'I'm having trouble getting my Amiga
:  3000UX Xwindows startup going right' that popped up a few months ago.
:  Any bets on whether it's the same person?

	I doubt it, he looks like he has an almost legitimate question. :-)
The info he gives as to version numbers is obviously wrong, but it could
always be a typo on an early beta of 2.0... I would just suggest to him that
he contact C= for an upgrade to a more current version of the OS.

:*****************************************************************************
:**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
:**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **
:*****************************************************************************

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (09/25/90)

From article <8601@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble):
> In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom.
>>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.

> I vote this post 'most likely to generate 1.7E9 responses.'  Do I hear
>   a second?

> This is right up there with the 'I'm having trouble getting my Amiga
>   3000UX Xwindows startup going right' that popped up a few months ago.
>   Any bets on whether it's the same person?

In order,

1. Don't show your ignorance (2M of first autoconfigure RAM does it nicely)

2. No it isn't.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (09/25/90)

In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>On another note, the "snapshot window" menu option on the workbench
>seems non-functional. Right?
	Works just fine for me. Of course, I am using 36.197 Kickstart.

>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.
        ^^^^^^

Hmmm... Say Alan, how did you manage to get a copy of 2.0 in the first place?
Even C= does not put out a version for the 500, and your kickstart number
seems a little off. Maybe if you waited until 2.0 was released for your machine
you would get better results (no :-)

			Dave

stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) (09/25/90)

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:
>in the Fonts: drawer. (Kick 36.143 WB 36.68). It MIGHT have been
				^^^
On my A3000 I have 36.141. Is this the rumored KS2.01??

	Stefan

Mail	: Stefan Becker, Holsteinstrasse 9, 5100 Aachen, West Germany +-------+
Phone	: +49-241-505705	FIDO: 2:242/7.6	    +-----------------+	  Call|
InterNet: stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de |Place free for ad's  now!|
UUCP	: ..mcvax!unido!rwthinf!cip-s02!stefanb	    +-------------------------+

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (W. John Guineau) (09/25/90)

In article <14609@cbmvax.commodore.com>, ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky
- CATS) writes:

|> You cannot snapshot the workbench window (the one with the disks in
|> it.)  You can only tell it to be backdrop or not (using the prefs
|> editor.)

Why not? I would like the workbench window to be smaller than the whole
screen so it doesn't completely occlude windows behind it.  Resizing
it on each reboot is not *that* much of a pain, but why should I have to?

--
W. John Guineau   			guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (09/26/90)

From article <1990Sep24.165910.15857@agora.uucp>, by billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour):
> :>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.
[...]
> 	I doubt it, he looks like he has an almost legitimate question. :-)
> The info he gives as to version numbers is obviously wrong, but it could
> always be a typo on an early beta of 2.0... I would just suggest to him that
> he contact C= for an upgrade to a more current version of the OS.

No, no typos - this is what was sent to Australian developers as "2.0 B5".
I'm told that beta 6 will be released here RSN, along with the recent
American DevCon notes.
See - we are kept right up to date by Commodore Australia.

What do you show for version, and what is it labelled as?

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/27/90)

In article <1129@tau.sm.luth.se>, d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:
> In article <13207@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>I'm having trouble getting ADOS 2.0 to find the fonts in rom. Any
>>attempt to specify Topaz.11 for (for example) menus or IntuiText
>>fails unless there is _another_ copy in the FONTS: directory.
>>
>>Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?
> Well It works fine for me. I don't even have a Topaz directory
> in the Fonts: drawer. (Kick 36.143 WB 36.68). It MIGHT have been
> a bug in a previous release.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was doing something wrong. I forgot to
specify the ROMFONT flag. Thanks for telling me your release number.
I'm obviously _very_ out of date. I'll have to scream for a newer
version.

>>On another note, the "snapshot window" menu option on the workbench
>>seems non-functional. Right?
>
> No in fact "snapshot window" snapshots the placing and size of the
> active window. (At least in my WB,again no info on your version))

Guess it got fixed. My old version is pretty stable, so yours must be
great!

Regards Alan

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/28/90)

In article <2277@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) writes:
:From article <1990Sep24.165910.15857@agora.uucp>, by billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour):
:> :>Setup: A500, SupraDrive, 2Mb fast, ZKick, KS 34.5, WB 36.16.
:[...]
:> 	I doubt it, he looks like he has an almost legitimate question. :-)
:> The info he gives as to version numbers is obviously wrong, but it could
:> always be a typo on an early beta of 2.0... I would just suggest to him that
:> he contact C= for an upgrade to a more current version of the OS.
:
:No, no typos - this is what was sent to Australian developers as "2.0 B5".
:I'm told that beta 6 will be released here RSN, along with the recent
:American DevCon notes.
:See - we are kept right up to date by Commodore Australia.
:
:What do you show for version, and what is it labelled as?

	My current version kicks out:

Kickstart version 36.197. Workbench version 36.77

	That is labeled as 2.02 beta 2. 2.01 was Kickstart 36.143 and 2.0
was Kickstart 36.141. Beta 6 was a 3000 release of beta 5, I believe.
Hope they get you guys caught up soon! :-)

In article <1990Sep27.205201.25306@agora.uucp> billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
>In article <2277@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) writes:
>:No, no typos - this is what was sent to Australian developers as "2.0 B5".
>:I'm told that beta 6 will be released here RSN, along with the recent
>:American DevCon notes.
>:See - we are kept right up to date by Commodore Australia.
>:
>:What do you show for version, and what is it labelled as?
>
>	My current version kicks out:
>
>Kickstart version 36.197. Workbench version 36.77
>
>	That is labeled as 2.02 beta 2. 2.01 was Kickstart 36.143 and 2.0
>was Kickstart 36.141. Beta 6 was a 3000 release of beta 5, I believe.
>Hope they get you guys caught up soon! :-)

	NOTE: "Beta 6" for non-US companies is what the US calls "2.00
Release" aka KS 36.141 (or maybe 2.01 (aka 36.143), it may depend on the
country, I don't know for sure).  Note that Bill just got 36.197 a very
short time ago, it's not something that has been around any amount of time.
I'm not in CATS, and I don't know exactly what the criteria for being shipped
copies was (Commercial Developers for certain).  I can't talk much about
these, but I wish to avoid any confusion for people out there, particularily
the Beta 6 vs 2.0 release confusion.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"