[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Novice Menu Questions

presley@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Matthew Presley) (09/22/90)

I was just a' wondering.

Why are menus linked off of windows instead of screens?
I think workbench just opens a window called "Workbench"
on top of its screen to get its menus.

Is it possible to open up windows on the workbench screen
with their own menus?  I'm not having much success opening
a window on the workbench screen and then using SetMenuStrip()
to add some predefined menus.
Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play loudly broken flutes..."

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (09/23/90)

In article <39200@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> presley@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Matthew Presley) writes:
>Why are menus linked off of windows instead of screens?
>I think workbench just opens a window called "Workbench"
>on top of its screen to get its menus.

Menus are connected to windows so that (among other reasons) you have
a message port (an IDCMP) through which Intuition can send you knowledge
of what the user is doing regarding your program.  Screens have no
such capability (no UserPort) so attaching menus to them would be somewhat
useless.

>Is it possible to open up windows on the workbench screen
>with their own menus?  I'm not having much success opening
>a window on the workbench screen and then using SetMenuStrip()
>to add some predefined menus.

Again, no.  Doing something impossible is worse than doing something
(seemingly) difficult, no?   Forget the menus for now and just open a
window (WorkBench window) with a close gadget.  If you can do that, menus
will (should) fall right into place. :)

bj

>Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.                   |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj   GEnie: B.J. |
 | "Fasten your seatbelt... I want to try something."                        |

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (09/24/90)

In article <14600@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com writes:
>In article <39200@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> presley@oahu.cs.ucla.edu writes:
>>Why are menus linked off of windows instead of screens?
>>I think workbench just opens a window called "Workbench"
>>on top of its screen to get its menus.
>
>Menus are connected to windows so that...you have a message port...

Menus are connected to windows so that each application can have its
own set of menus.  If menus were attached to screens, then multiple
applications would have to share the menu space if they shared a
screen (like the workbench screen).  On the Amiga, the active window
controls the menu strip, and (as such) does not have to worry about
menu collisions (each window has its own virtual menu space that
is only used when the window is active.)

>>Is it possible to open up windows on the workbench screen
>>with their own menus?  I'm not having much success opening
>>a window on the workbench screen and then using SetMenuStrip()
>>to add some predefined menus.
>
>Again, no.  Doing something impossible is worse than doing something
>(seemingly) difficult, no?...

If I read this question right, you want to know if you can add
Workbench menus (i.e.  menus added to the workbench "application"
menus) not your own menus that appear on the workbench screen
when your window is active.  You cannot do this legally under 1.3,
under 2.0 you can add them using the AppMenu feature.

Let me know if I answered the questions that you were asking.
It was not quite clear from your questions.

Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/25/90)

>If I read this question right, you want to know if you can add
>Workbench menus (i.e.  menus added to the workbench "application"
>menus) not your own menus that appear on the workbench screen
>when your window is active.  You cannot do this legally under 1.3,
>under 2.0 you can add them using the AppMenu feature.

And, though it may not be *legal* the PD utility MyMenu allows you
to do much the same thing.  For example, if you get tired of opening
up nested drawers to get to some program you use a lot, you can add
a menu item to start it to the workbench menus.  Works for both
CLI and WB programs.  Source included (I think).

                                                lee

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (09/26/90)

In Message-ID: <90268.125851UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>
          UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) said:
>And, though it may not be *legal* the PD utility MyMenu allows you
>to do much the same thing.  For example, if you get tired of opening
>up nested drawers to get to some program you use a lot, you can add
>a menu item to start it to the workbench menus.  Works for both
>CLI and WB programs.  Source included (I think).

Yes, MyMenu will allow you to add programs to the menu strip but it does
a lot of evil things to accomplish this.  The result is a program too buggy to
use.  I used MyMenu for a while.  I like the functionality but in the end I
decided I couldn't live with the GURUs.  In 2.0 this kind of thing is feature
is supported and STABLE.

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

In article <900925.155852.CDT.C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:
> Yes, MyMenu will allow you to add programs to the menu strip but it does
> a lot of evil things to accomplish this.  In 2.0 this kind of thing
> is supported and STABLE.

Supported, yes. Stable, not as of 2.0 beta 5. Lots of stuff in the AddApp*
menus are "not yet implemented".

(whether the delivered 2.0 supports them is another matter. If there were a
 more frequent update service than just getting another set of Autodoc disks
 it'd help. Even at $20 per release (which is pretty reasonable) they add up.
 Is there any way to get infominder-compatible autodocs any more?)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.