[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Disk Validation

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (10/01/90)

I have been (for no real reason) crashing my machine while it has
files open for writing.  This is causing the Disk is not Validated
requestor to pop up, whenever I try to delete or access that part
of the disk.

Is there a way to force a validation?  Is FixDisk what I want?  What
is the "standard" way of recovering from such an error?  (I know, we
_need_ an fsck for the Amiga...)

thanks,
dylan
--
dylan mcnamee				"...I put the Mu in Mother Goose,
dylan@cs.washington.edu			 the Doc in Doctor Seuss..." Young MC

In article <13185@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:
>  This is causing the Disk is not Validated
>requestor to pop up, whenever I try to delete or access that part
>of the disk.
>
>Is there a way to force a validation?  Is FixDisk what I want?  What
>is the "standard" way of recovering from such an error?  (I know, we
>_need_ an fsck for the Amiga...)

I only know the hard way: Grab out any good disk monitor, go to the
root block, and set the BitmapValidFlag to zero. In a 512 byte block,
you find this at offset $138, you must zero out all 4 bytes there.
Write that block back and do a power off/on. (Perhaps you also must
adjust the checksum long word at offset $14 before that.)

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (10/03/90)

In article <462@cbmger.UUCP>, Peter Kittel GERMANY writes:

> In article <13185@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:
> >  This is causing the Disk is not Validated requestor to pop up, whenever
> > I try to delete or access that part of the disk.
> >
> >Is there a way to force a validation?  Is FixDisk what I want?  What
> >is the "standard" way of recovering from such an error?  (I know, we
> >_need_ an fsck for the Amiga...)

   FixDisk is what you want, provided your disk is no more than 48M large.

   Otherwise, if you are daring, do the following:

   Bring out DiskX or some other disk monitor, have a FFS reference at hand, and
a good deal of courage!
   Probably, there's a single file or directory causing the problem. With DiskX,
you can erase this from it's directory block by writing 0's into the pointer to
the file header, and next time the validator tries, it will get your disk OK.

> I only know the hard way: Grab out any good disk monitor, go to the
> root block, and set the BitmapValidFlag to zero.

   That is not likely to do it, Peter, or the disk would have done so by itself.
There seems to be a problem in the directory structure of this disk.

   BTW, a much easier way would be to do a DiskChange on the offending volume.
This works fine also for non-removable disks like HD's, I did so after the DiskX
trick described above.

   The safe way is to back up the volume and reformat it. Quarterback may have
problems scanning bad disks, though. MRBackup, though slower, has been saving
peoples HD contents at times in this situation.

                                     Good luck        -Henrik
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/