[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 3000UX AmigaDos partitions

flutter@vtcc1.cc.vt.edu (Lloyd Eldred) (09/27/90)

    As President of the brand new Virginia Tech Amiga Users Group, I've been
getting a lot of questions from the new Freshmen CS students with their
3000UXes. Being a 1000 owner with AmigaDos 1.3, I'm not always able to help
them. Recently a recurring problem has occurred that I need some advice on.
    Basically, the students are accidentally formatting their AmigaDos hard
drive partitions. Their hard drives came pre-setup with a 1.3 partition, a
2.0 partition, and a large Unix partition. No one is sure how to restore
an AmigaDos partition to it's autobooting original state.
    I played briefly with a deparmental machine. I was able to successfully
format the partition. Then, I tried the INSTALL command, to make the thing
bootable. This didn't work. Lastly, I copied an AmigaDos Workbench 2.0
disk onto the partition to make sure that that at least worked. It seemed to.
Thus, you could use the partition, if you booted from floppy.
    So, how does one make a partition bootable on the 3000? Does this include
copying Kickstart 2.0 onto the hard drive some how?
    I'm reasonably knowledgable about AmigaDos, at least up to 1.3, having had
my 1000 for 4 years now, so feel free to be technical.
    Thanks!

%% Lloyd Eldred -- ARUS President

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/02/90)

In article <310@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> flutter@vtcc1.cc.vt.edu writes:
>    Basically, the students are accidentally formatting their AmigaDos hard
>drive partitions. Their hard drives came pre-setup with a 1.3 partition, a
>2.0 partition, and a large Unix partition. No one is sure how to restore
>an AmigaDos partition to it's autobooting original state.
>%% Lloyd Eldred -- ARUS President

Actually, it is the "Work:" partition, not a Unix partition.

What you need is a copy of document 318245-02 which has "Restoring the
Hard Drive" and "Updating the System Software".  This is the second sheet
of a two-page photocopied addendum that came with the Amiga 3000.

The first page says:
	Included with your computer are six 3.5-inch floppy disks that
	contain the operating system software.  They are as follows:
		A3000 Superkickstart		A3000 Install
		A3000 Workbench2.0		A3000 Extras2.0
		A3000 Workbench1.3		A3000 Extras1.3

Note that you need the Install floppy, not just the C:Install program.

For a full install (which includes erasing all files on the Work: partition):
  1) Press both mouse buttons while powering up the A3000.
  2) Insert the A3000 Superkickstart floppy and click "Kickstart 2.x-Floppy".
  3) Insert the A3000 Install floppy, click on the PrepHD icon.
  4) Reboot and click on the FormatHD icon.
  5) Answer "y" to install software, this will read the other four floppies.

To update just the 2.0 partition (without wiping out the Work: partition):
  1-2) Same as above.
  3) Click on the InstallHD icon.
  4) Insert the two 2.0 floppies when requested.
  5) Click "cancel" when Workbench1.3 is requested.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (10/06/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech
Subject: TRAPS