[comp.sys.amiga.tech] On rewriting hddisk.device

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (09/28/90)

In Msg <1990Sep21.155844.14511@agora.uucp>,billsey@agora.uucp
(Bill Seymour) writes:
|In article <92650@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM
|Todd Carpenter) writes:
|: [..]
|:So, that brings on a serious question:  Has anyone managed to get
|:the A2090a patched up so it can be used with a SCSI tape?  I would
|:be willing to pay for it, even!  (I know, I could *pay* for a new
|:controller, too. But I only have 1 SCSI drive, and 4 ST506.  Another
|:SCSI controller doesn't do me a whole lot of good, especially since
|:I could hook up another 5 to this one, plus the tape drive.)
|:
|   I'm really suprised someone hasn't reverse engineered the
|2090/2090a device driver to fix all the incompatibilities with
|current standards. It sure seems like it'd be a good product. Charge
|$19.95 each and sell one to everyone who has one of those
|controllers.

    It's a good idea. I've thought of it, so I'm sure others have.
  It's also fairly difficult, IMHO. And I'm an inveterate
  disassembler. Have you looked at that code? There are some strange
  things going on therein. Have you noticed that the driver gets
  loaded to an expansion slot range,$E80000+ (depending on your cards
  I guess). Then there are the private fields in the IO.Struct.
    So, as far as I'm concerned, it's a project that gets intermittent
  attention.
    Has anybody ever tried to get the source code from CBM, to do it
  properly? (Seeing as it seems CBM isn't going to do it.)
    <-Harvey

"You know things have rather jumped the groove when potential suspects
 must explain to law enforcers the nature of their alleged perpetrations."
                                    -JP Barlow (on the NuPrometheus caper)
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

In <271@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) writes:
>Someone here in Germany has done this. His driver is available as
>chip set for the 2090a and on a socalled turbo autoboot board for the
>poor 2090 owners (price for the latter DM 169 (these days 1$ := ~1.55DM)).
>He wrote this driver because of some 'features' of the SCSI part of
>hddisk.device. As a side effect the ST506 part was speed up ( <= 50% ,
>384K/sec disk dependant ). The 2090 autoboot solution is not that proper but
>they claim it works under 2.0.

Could you please post information on who makes this and how we might contact
them?

Thanks,
 -larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) (10/02/90)

Someone here in Germany has done this. His driver is available as
chip set for the 2090a and on a socalled turbo autoboot board for the
poor 2090 owners (price for the latter DM 169 (these days 1$ := ~1.55DM)).
He wrote this driver because of some 'features' of the SCSI part of
hddisk.device. As a side effect the ST506 part was speed up ( <= 50% ,
384K/sec disk dependant ). The 2090 autoboot solution is not that proper but
they claim it works under 2.0.

The SCSI part uses 10 byte commands optionally (which hddisk.device does not).
Boots FFS (FFS in EPROM (newest version, I think)).
Automount.
Faster Format.
Install program.
No Rigid Disk Blocks. Grrr. This is the only drawback.
Maybe next update?

Wolfram
--
No, English is not my native language and it's 23:19 now
Wolfram Schmidt

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (10/02/90)

(Wolfram Schmidt) writes:

| Someone here in Germany has done this. His driver is available as
| chip set for the 2090a

    A chip set to replace hddisk.device? How is this done? (and why?)
  Anyway, could you pass on addresses etc. or do you know if there is a
  North American distributor? Can 2090A owners get just the driver? Price?

|   [describes a "turbo autoboot board for the poor 2090"]

    This sounds like what has been called the slot waster over here [an
 autoconfig card with roms to give the 2090 autoboot capability, sold by
 CBM]. From the sound of your description, the driver does not use
 SCSIDirect, yes?

    On the other claw, seeing as the Xetec CD-ROM is going to need their
 controller, the FastCard, does anybody know if this card supports
 SCSIDirect?

| No, English is not my native language and it's 23:19 now

    Your english is a lot better than my german. ;-)
    <-Harvey

 "What we do not understand, we do not possess." -Goethe

In <3386@mindlink.UUCP>, a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>In <271@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, wschmidt@phobix
>(Wolfram Schmidt) writes:
>|
>| Someone here in Germany has done this. His driver is available as
>| chip set for the 2090a
>
>    A chip set to replace hddisk.device? How is this done? (and why?)
>  Anyway, could you pass on addresses etc. or do you know if there is a
>  North American distributor? Can 2090A owners get just the driver? Price?

I can answer the first question... Yes, the driver can be on the ROMs on the
2090A. Why make one? Because the ROMs on the 2090A already contain the driver
(hddisk.device). You can, if you have a 2090A, get rid of any instances of
hddisk.device in DEVS: or sys:expansion, because the ROM code from the 2090A is
loaded into memory and executed there.

-larry

--

wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) (10/06/90)

In article <2067@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <271@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) writes:
                                                ^^^^^^
Please note that my only working mail address is wschmidt@IAO.FhG.de.
The news software constructs rusux1!phobix!wschmidt or so. This cannot work.

[...]
>Could you please post information on who makes this and how we might contact
>them?
>
>Thanks,
> -larry
>
>--
[...]

The address is:
                 Macro System
                 Gahlfelderstr. 6
               W-5804 Herdecke
                 Germany

Note that the 'W-' is important because in the united Germany there are many
conflicts of postal codes. This is the way they solved it for now.

Telephone: +49 2330 801 132       FAX: +49 2330 73055
                                                  ^
                                             Hope this is correct.
                                             Otherwise replace with '6'.

I planned to post a short review of the Product. But yesterday I discovered
that the SCSI part of the driver might do something I dislike. I called them
too late today (after 18.00 h, because that's cheaper) but all technicans were
already gone. So this has to wait.

The price for the thing is DM169.-. The price for the EPROMs plus a PAL for
the 2090A was (I'm not quite sure; since this is no overused spell it seems
I'll have to increase the refhresh rate of my memory) DM149.-

I don't know what the Deutsche Bundesp*st wants for shipping to the US.
The manual is in german of course. May be they have an english one.

If you have questions send mail. I am only here at Mon's, Wed's and Fri's
so i cannot answer immediately.

Wolfram
--
Wolfram Schmidt
Regardless what some silly news software tries to tell you my email address is:

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (10/08/90)

In article <281@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wschmidt@phobix
(Wolfram Schmidt) writes:

> Well, they [Macro System] don't use RDB. They say, if RDBs
> are on the drive their driver would not destroy them. RDBs
> aren't used because they need to store additional
> information and secondly: no RDBs ==> no RDB-viruses!

Oh great!

No boot-blocks, no boot-block viruses.
No computers, no computer viruses.
No Internet, no internet virus.
No Amigas, no Amiga viruses.
No sex, no HIV.
No Switzerland, no SCA virus.
No universe, no viruses at all!

Ralph

wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) (10/09/90)

In article <280@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wschmidt@IAO.FhG.de (I) write(s):
[blah...]
>The address is:
>                 Macro System
>                 Gahlfelderstr. 6
>               W-5804 Herdecke
>                 Germany
[blah, blah...]
>Telephone: +49 2330 801 132       FAX: +49 2330 73055
>                                                  ^
>                              Hope this is correct. Otherwise replace with '6'.
[blah, blah, blah...]

Today, I called them again. They have a new version of the driver, the install
program and the handbook. It supports DirectSCSI, now. Almost everything I
didn't like in their previous release has been improved. Is seems I can
recommend it now. I hope my update arrives this week.
Well, they don't use RDB. They say, if RDBs are on the drive their driver